Hotpoint Aquarius wm64

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after looking at the posts on this fab website I had to join.

One year after emigrating to New Zealand, my wife started to bang the front of our washer to get it to start, it stopped starting.
I replaced the door switch, that didn't work so I replaced the timer unit, again that didn't work. So I took the bull by the horns and started to test all the wires and connections, everything was ok. I then bypassed the on/off switch and door switch, put the old timer unit back in and to my surprise it started up, so I re-connected the new door switch then the old hoping it would work, but it didn't.

I know the on/off switch is faulty but the door switch was new.

Has anyone got any ideas? It would be very grateful.

Regards in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Take the on / off switch out and check the continuity on both sides live and neutral. When the door switch goes it also takes out the neutral supply on the pcb. That's the very first block of black wires , look for a burnt track.

Hi, thanks for replying.
I took the on/off switch off because it was tripping the rcd everytime I went to switch the machine on, it does have continuity though, which is strange. The pcb looks fine, no burnt tracks as you can see.
I'm at a loss, any ideas?

If it is tripping you need to check the heater or motor. Unplug these two see if it trips

Sponsored Links
Hi, Prior to bypassing the on/off and door switch I disconnected the motor and heating element and it still tripped.

Hi, already tried it, it still trips.
Is there a way to test the door switch? As i've got a new one and that dosen't seem to work either.

Cheers

Link the 2 reds together it should work if not lock is faulty.

Hi,
I linked the 2 reds (bypassed) earlier and machine fired up, just wondering if there was a way to test the switch with it being new?
Cheers.

You seem to have 2 faults with this. If the door needs banging its a faulty lock. If it trips it could be a number of things. If you replaced the lock it should work. if not and put the old lock back in and it works it's a faulty new lock. The only way of testing is the bypass which you have done. Does it still trip have you checked the on off switch incase it's shorting out inside it.

Hi, I tried the old lock and it still didn't work. I bypassed the on/off switch and door switch and it started. I opened the on/off switch earlier and it looks as if it's being shorting.
I think i'll order a new on/off & door switch.
I've had the machine in pieces over the past few weeks after recieving the new door switch, fitting it and finding out it didn't work then replacing the timer unit. The only trouble with being in New Zeland is waiting for replacement parts (usually 1 to 2 weeks).
Is there anything I can try in the meantime? If not, I'll wait for the new parts
Many thanks for all your time and effort, you're a legend, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Mark.

PS. Anytime your in Auckland, the beers are on me. Happy New Year

To get you out of trouble you can take the live and netrual supply off the on off switch and link the two lives together and then the netrual that will start it till new one turns up. But you will have to tape them up and make sure you unplug the machine after use.

Hi, what about the door switch? Will lock after being bypassed?

Cheers

Yes , when on off switch is bypassed door lock will lock.

I'll try it in the morning, the wife will be pleased............

Many thanks, I'll keep you posted,

Cheers..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back