Hotpoint Aquarius WML520 Washing Machine Door I/Lock Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some help with a problem i'm having with my washing machine.
About 5 weeks ago I started getting a clicking noise from the door interlock and had trouble opening the door and the machine would randomly stop mid way through it's cycle. To open the door I had to pull the green tag that is used to manually open the door. I obtained a replacement lock and fitted it and everything went fine for about 3-4 weeks then the same thing happened again. On this occasion I could get the machine to work intermittently. So thinking I had a suspect lock I bought another and fitted it. The machine worked fine for about a day and then the problem came back again.

Another thing that is happening is when I have the power switched off and the connector block to the switch removed, I then close the door but it won't open. I have to open it manually by pulling the green tag which I don't understand.

Over the last 3 days I have had all 3 switches fitted at various times and all have worked for a while (i.e completed the full wash cycle) and then stopped mid cycle.

I have read a thread within the forum similar to my problem which suggests that replacing the brushes would solve this fault, but I don't understand why this would help as it seems my fault could be a "mechanical" rather than "electrical".

I do not want to go down the route of buying a replacement machine as I feel that this should be a rather simple fault to fix but it is not turning out to be that simple.

I would really appreciate any help on this matter as it is driving me mad.

Thanks[/url]

PS

The washing machine model is a Hotpoint Aquarius WML520 PUK.R

Sponsored Links
Check the brushes. It causes the door lock to click several times and jams the door.

Thanks for the reply. I will check the brushes although I did replace them in August.

Sometimes when I try and run the pump out programme I get the same symptoms which was making me think that it was something mechanical rather than electrical as I assumed that the motor and brushes have nothing to do with the pump.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply

I have checked the brushes and they appear to be ok. I measured the amount of carbon left and it is just over 2cm (2.2 to be exact)

Sponsored Links
Is the filter clean any water in the drum. If it don't drain under 30 secs this can cause the door to not open.

Is the filter clean any water in the drum. If it don't drain under 30 secs this can cause the door to not open.

Yes the filter is clean and there is no water in the drum. When I get it working it drains in under 30 sec.

I've been messing about with it today and when I get it working it goes ok sometimes and then it seems to stop, when it stops and I push the door I can get it to start again which makes me think it is something mechanical dropping out within the door interlock. Also applying pressure to the door handle will sometimes make it work.

Is the lever on the door handle locking into the interlock. That's the only thing that can cause it if you press the door and it fires up.

Is the lever on the door handle locking into the interlock. That's the only thing that can cause it if you press the door and it fires up.

Yes the lever on the door is locking into the interlock. It appears to me that during the cycle something within the interlock circuit is dropping out, whether it is the movement of the machine causing it or could it be the supply to the interlock dropping out momentarily causing the machine to think that the door is open which would cause the machine to stop.

Looks like a loose connection on the door lock. Check the wiring block in the lock.

Looks like a loose connection on the door lock. Check the wiring block in the lock.
The connector block that is connected to the wiring loom shows signs of arcing on one of the three terminals within the block. It is quite black whereas the other two look a gold/ bronze colour which I would expect. I can't say for sure which wire it is, there are 2 brown wires and 1 red wire going into the block but I think it is one of the brown wires.

Clean it up a bit with fine sandpaper that's wat is causing it.
Ok, I'll try doing that if I get time tomorrow with it being Xmas and all that if not then the day after.
Thanks for all your help so far. Have a Merry Christmas.

Clean it up a bit with fine sandpaper that's wat is causing it.
Ok, I'll try doing that if I get time tomorrow with it being Xmas and all that if not then the day after.
Thanks for all your help so far. Have a Merry Christmas.

I have cleaned the contacts with sandpaper as suggested although it was a bit awkward. I decided to remake the connections to the connector block. I cut all 3 wires by about an inch and then fitted them to the connector block. Since doing this i have had no problems with the machine at all. Fingers crossed, hopefully this has solved the problem.

Thanks again for all your help, it is appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back