Hotpoint Aquerius 1100 WM63 drum bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's fairly straight forward IF you've done it before - I hadn't!
With a bit of help from Tinternet, it took me 12 hours including head scratching, sourcing of parts / tools and

occasional spanner holding moments by partner. I could probably do it in six next time knowing what I am about to

impart plus holding toolkit.
You must equate the value of your own time weighed against repair person.
Disconnect and move to space where you can access all sides and tip to get bits dropped in progress.
Screws at rear hold top which then slides off to rear.
Circular plate in rear held by one bottom screw then drops & away.
With door open you can waggle the drum about to judge the severety of the collapse.
This is your best time to walk away if in doubt - you can quickly pop it back together and tip it.
Otherwise, get partner to hold front of drum whilst you welt the big (normal rh threaded) nut at rear to loosen (the

large alloy pulley looking like a steering wheel is also threaded).
Pull off the front rotary knob.
Unclip and remove the powder tray.
Remove four screws holding top facia.
Top facia is wired up with indistinguishable wires so either tag them up or live with facia bungied to one side.

Bottom facia simply unclips (now note the little peened metal trap for front in centre).
You now have three screws top and bottom to release front.
If you have a trained marmoset to hand, have it remove clips to leave outer drum front attached to door.
Otherwise use a 300mm shaft philips to detach large grey rubber door seal retaining cable from outer drum and move

door and rubber to one side.
Gently ease out the outer drum front taking care not to harm the heating element in base (mine showed slight signs of

damage from wonkey inner drum).
Slacken off motor and remove pulley belt.
The nut and pulley may be unscrewed (I had to drift the drum shaft forward bit by bit)
The Pulley comes out from beneath.
Remove inner drum forward to reveal the two bearings (remains of seal in front).
Both mine were intact but my front was clearly shot.

NB If my front bearing had collapsed at this stage, I cannot think of any solution.

The rear bearing drifted out quite easily from the front.
From hindsight, I would suggest it is well worth great effort to try and remove all trace of front seal and clean at

this stage.
I proceded to create a puller from an old piston with a long bolt and socket to draw out the front bearing. Only with

additional drifting from rear did I get some movement but, eventually, the bearing race collapsed. The seal was

mostly out - well corroded and (I suspect) the bearing was siezed on this crud. Oh woe woe and thrice woe!
My inspired solution was quite elegant (for me) and very lucky.
Machine Mart offer a three puller set from which you need the 3" & 4" in combination.
Because the bearing has collapsed and is forward, the 3" puller will fit inside but nothing to bear against.
Take the thrust bolt out of its centre.
Take the legs off the 4" puller, reverse it and nest it inside the 3".
With all the link bolts tight, this stiff assembly holds together as one whist positioning it.
The hybrid puller now activates from the rear but - again - additional drifting is required.

If you have success this far then re-assembly is routine stuff unless your monkey has run off.
Smearing petroleum jelly around drum and door seal does the trick (well it did it in one for me after much

frustration).

Cost of pullers = £20
Cost of bearings & seal = £20 (cheaper in my high street store than web!)

It is on its fifth load OK but I don't think I'd attempt it again if it fails within a year.

Sponsored Links
No need to remove or adjust motor bracket belt slides off. Also the wires on the consol panel the black ones are numbered 1234 look on the wire. Also you can drift out bearings with a drift or a metal pole. I use a bearing extracter which cost 100.00 quid. I won't tell you how long it takes me but I can do it while eastenders is on start to finish. But I've done hundreds.

Sponsored Links
My hat goes off to you...necessity is indeed the mother of invention ;)

This forum helped me - I thought I might help it.
However...

Who could enjoy/believe a £100 Carribean tool boasting satisfaction whilst watching a 30min UK soap?

I am quite sure your excellent job description & innovative approach will help many forum users in the future. I admire your courage in attempting such a difficult repair, congratulate you on a job well done...& not least say thanks for taking the time to share the details with others. Great stuff :cool:

Remember me?

10 months on and she's gone again - this time terminally.

I don't think my last replacement seal was tight enough & let water in.
That or my part was of cheaper quality.

Anyway, true to my word, I've saved my time and put the money toward a new (£219) Zanussi.

Anyone want any of the working bits before Steptoe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back