Hotpoint dishwasher - big leak and tripped the power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Hotpoint FDW60 dishwasher, only 2-3 years old. Today it was on and I nipped to the shops for 10 minutes, when I came back there was water coming from under the dishwasher and the whole of the downstairs plug sockets had tripped. I tried replacing the fuse in the dishwasher, plugged it back in and the whole lot tripped again. There's obviously something majorly wrong with it, whether it's something along the lines of water getting in the electrics I don't know - or whether the water leaking was the cause of the trip or the consequence of it.
Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong - I don't know whether to just scrap it or see if I can call someone out to take a look if its repairable - it seems a bit drastic to have to scrap it as its not very old.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
First of all tilt it forward and drain any water from the base. You can remove the base and inspect for any loose hoses , leave it for 48 hrs to dry out then try it.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give this a go and report back.

Sponsored Links
OK I've tipped it on its side and taken the bottom off - yes it looks like this is indeed the problem - I've attached some pics, the first you will see a rusty patch on the base where it must have been dripping for some time. I can just about see right up into the middle of the insides there is a host with rust around the top so I suspect this is where it is leaking, it looks a bit difficult to get to (well for me anyway) but possibly could be fixable at not too much cost? The rest of the hoses and connections all look really new so maybe just a bit unlucky with this?
I have tried to show on the one of the photos where the rusty bit is on the hose and then zoomed out a bit to try and show which bit the hose is joining, apologies I don't know what the parts are called.
I'd be grateful for any more advice on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back