Hotpoint dishwasher F5 error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Hotpoint FDFEX 11011 G dishwasher about 6 years old and never had problems before. The F5 error started a few weeks ago so there's a problem with the drain pump. The cycle starts but stalls after about 5 minutes. Then if you turn it all off and start the cycle again it works OK.

Drainage pipe isn't blocked. I have about an inch of residual water in the filter drain but I gather that's OK because it stops the seals from drying out.

Before I swap out the drain pump for a new one is there anything else to look at given it works OK after a restart?

Oh, my level of expertise is not an expert but competent at fixing quite a few things.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I have never had any luck changing pumps and end up getting a new machine with as long a warranty as is available.

You said "Code F5 so there is a problem with drain pump", but it might also be an intermittent level sensor fault which tells the machine it is over full/flooding when the fresh water is pumped in at the start of the washing cycle. It corrects itself when you restart it.

Blup

Last edited:
Thanks Blup. Is the level sensor something you can swap out yourself as a competent DIYer or does it need a professional?

There are plenty of videos of youtube but getting one that matches your make and model is the challenge.

Blup

Sponsored Links
It looks like rain tomorrow. Just perfect for trolling YouTube then! Thanks.

Blup you're a genius! Sorry for delayed reply but a £16 level sensor from Hotpoint was just what it needed. I am being philosophical and treating the unneccesary £54 drain pump as a future repair already avoided. Thanks verrrrry much for your advice.

The level sensor can be tricked by grease, sometimes all that is required is some washing liquid and boiling water.

Where is the level sensor located please?

Generally near the top of the case of the machine, with two wires on it, with a pipe running down to the lowest part of the machine.

The sensor takes the form of a diaphragm, which has a microswitch at the back of it. Water level rises, goes up the pipe, forcing air up the pipe against the diaphragm, diaphragm then operates the switch at a preset pressure - of fill level.

Sometimes the pipe can become choked with debris, the easy fix is to disconnect from the pressure switch, and blow/flush out from the top end.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back