Hotpoint DWF34 Dishwasher not draining.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 20 months trouble free use, my Hotpoint DWF34 dishwasher has suddenly stopped draining.
I *have* checked the manual.
The accessible filters aren't blocked.
The drainage pipe isn't kinked. I've tried putting the pipe flat on the floor and only the contents of the pipe drained out. About an inch of water remains inside the machine.

From Hotpoint's web site their service engineers charge will be:
£34.99 for "free" estimate and diagnosis, plus
£54.99 labour if I wish to proceed.
As it's less than 5 years old, the parts are free (whoopie).

1) What else can I do?

2) How do I open it? (I can't see how to get further than sliding off the top cover and removing a big weight resting on top.)

[Edit] I've just noticed thread with similar problems on DWF32, so I've just pasted this comment there

i have just removed it. differnt appliance

Sponsored Links
Have just solved draining problem myself as follows. Posted here for others' benefit and 'cos I'm so pleased with myself. :)

You need a siphon and a star shaped screwdriver and/or screw bits (same as screws on inside of door).

1) Switch off machine.

2) Remove normal accessible filters from beneath water in machine.

3) Drain water using siphon into washing up bowl. I used a special siphon thingy with a squeezy bulb, but you should be able to do it with a metre length of hosepipe. (Fill it with water - stick your thumbs on each end and then put one end where the filters go and the other in a washing bowl on the floor. Let go with your thumbs and with luck it will start emptying).

4) In the bottom of filter bowl you will see a single star shaped screw. Unscrew this and then lift out the piece covering the left side of the bowl, revealing the yellow impellor.

5) Remove any food debris from around the impellor and then turn it each way a few times.

6) Replace the impellor cover and put the screw back in.

7) Replace the filters.

7.5) Check the drain pipe is in position (or have a mop ready) ;)

8.) Switch it back on. Run it and drain it as per the instruction manual. ie switch it on to Economy Wash for around 4 minutes, then end the programme (by pressing Normal and Quick washes simultaneously for 3 seconds).

9) Wait a minute for it to stop altogether (hopefully hearing gurgling sounds as it drains).

10) Look inside and see a drained dishwasher.

At least that's how it worked for me. I don't know if it's fixed for good, but it's better than waiting a week and getting charged £90 by Hotpoint.

[Edited to clarify instructions. Still working after several days :)].

Phillip B is a star I did as he suggested and I got a result, some years on and the advice still works it magic, whoever you are Phillip B I love you :D

I would have asked was the pump running (you can hear it hum), My pump has jammed on chicken bone & broken glass, you can sometimes free it by using a small bladed screwdriver insert though the filter & try & move the impellor, that will free it also

Sponsored Links
At least that's how it worked for me. I don't know if it's fixed for good, ... Still working after several days :).

Update: Nearly 4 years on from fixing as above, my dishwasher is still working fine with no further problems. (Hope I'm not tempting fate :eek:).

Thanks for kind messages from those who found my advice helpful. Good to know time spent posting solution was worthwhile. :)

Guys I have a similar problem but this fix (or my attempt at replicating it) doesn't work.

Have a DWF34 which drains (get the girgling sound and water running down the outflow pipe) but not fully. There is a body of water left in the filter area.

Have checked the filters. Tried the impellor fix - it seemed ok. There is some slight resistance as you turn the yellow cog like wheel but it feels like a spring/strong rubber band like response, so I am assuming this is normal. There doesn't appear to be any visable blockage.

There is no hose kink. I haven't disconnected the hose to check it though as it seemed to be partially draining.

Any ideas welcome as Hotpoint want to charge either £110 call out and if they can't fix it - bad luck or £159 for a fix or replace scheme which is too involved to describe here. Either way its expensive !!

yes the impeller is quite stiff to turn .fill dishwasher up when it drains take pipe off and put into bucket should be quite powerfull when it emptys .there is water left in the sump about 1/2 a cup full to stop smells have you checked the spigot on the sink could be blocked .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back