Hotpoint FDW80 - "Door" warning flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of days ago, our Hotpoint FDW80 started to refuse to accept that the door was closed.

The lock is working fine and, as I shut the door, I can hear a faint "click" just before the lock engages. I assume this is the trip switch.

By slowly easing the door shut, I've been able to fox the machine a few times and trigger the wash cycle. However, if I let the door close at full speed, the "door" warning would fire up again.

At the moment, it seems to have grown wise to my tricks and I can't get the dashed thing to start cleaning, which is annoying.

For what it's worth, I've cleaned the machine and removed the front panel to check the locks. What I -did- notice was that the fuse box attached to the lock seemed to be scorched.

Is there a chance that the fuse associated with the trip switch is blown? If so, why does the wash cycle work sometimes? And, hoping against hope, if the fuse -has- gone, is it easily replaceable?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

This is a dishwasher, right? (you didn't say, so just to be sure)

The lock is working fine and, as I shut the door, I can hear a faint "click" just before the lock engages. I assume this is the trip switch.

There is no lock, only a detect switch. The machine lets you free to open the door at any time. It does not "lock", so your question seems confused to say the least.

I've cleaned the machine and removed the front panel to check the locks. What I -did- notice was that the fuse box attached to the lock seemed to be scorched.

Erm, what fuse box?

As it happens I also have a FDW80, which I recently took the front panel off to resolve another issue and I am certain that the only electrical component in the vicinity of the door catch is a microswitch used for detecting the door is closed.

I suppose it's possible Hotpoint changed the internal design drastically without updating the consumer product model number, or I completely misread your post, but otherwise might I respectfully suggest that if you have possible evidence of electrical circuits overloading, and trouble identifying even basic components then it's time to call in a "professional"?

Mains electricity can kill, and so can a house fire.

Google will confirm what a microswitch looks like, if you need it.

See below for photo of the main control board in case this is what you mean.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, this is a dishwasher and you're right, there's no lock, just a catch. (There's always a catch, right? <g>)

There is indeed a microswitch, which is attached to a fuse and it's this fuse which seems to have gone.

Pic 1: http://i55.tinypic.com/244u0pd.gif
Pic 2: http://i53.tinypic.com/4rx4lk.gif

That looks a bit suspicious to me...

I need to investigate to see if the fuse is replaceable (am going to do that after posting this message).

I have a long and not-so proud history of electrocuting myself so I'm playing this one very safe...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back