Hotpoint FFU3DK stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my above mentioned fridge freezer has stopped working and the fridge/ freezer is not cooling etc . When I power it up there doesn't seem any noise or clicking from the compressor but a very quiet buzzing noise like a stuck motor that occurs for a few moments then stops . The insides lights turn on etc . What can I try ?tks

Sponsored Links
Have you defrosted it according to the manufacturers instructions?

It's been unplugged for 2 days. Imagine that would do it ?

Some freezers I have seen end up with a huge block of ice in the bottom & would take 2 weeks to defrost, but if there is no sign of ice anywhere in yours then possibly you have just had the stat fail.

Sponsored Links
I ll check the drip tray tonight . Where are the stats on these things ?

If its a frost-free freezer, there are airducts hidden inside the casing that can get choked with ice, so you have to defrost until all dripping stops and it dries out. Two days should be enough if the doors were open but might not be if closed.

Have a look at the drip dish round the back, as well as water inside the cabinet.

There was some water in the bottom of the fridge but it looked like that stopped dripping same with the drip tray at the back ...

Sorry I did not realise your model is an american style F.F.. They do not have thermostats like a normal upright but are controlled by the main pub.. I doubt this is a DIY job, best to call someone out. I think Hotpoint used to do call outs with parts & labour for a fixed fee.

Hi yeah they do , £150 fixed price they said
Tks again

I had a similar issue.
I removed the back panel in the freezer compartment and found the circulation fan clogged with ice. A short time with a hairdryer got rid of the ice and the fan started spinning again.
I put it all back together and the fridge and freezer were cold again.
I have to do some more investigation to find out if it's the stat and/or heater that are faulty??

Mines been off for 3 days now with no more drips in freezer or tray . I'd guess this would be enough time for the ice to have melted ?

Took the back of the freezer compartment out . Not a spot of ice and Fan spins feely by hand

If you switch back on now it will probably start cooling again, but not tell you the cause.
Will probably be one of three things.
Defrost stat
Heater
Timer.
There are a few YouTube videos on the subject.
I'll let you know how I get on when I look further in to my problems!

Still nothing . Just a quiet buzz for about 5-10 seconds then all goes queit again ...

Should the compressor not switch on regardless of the fan ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back