Hotpoint First Edition 800 WM51

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have a problem with my machine...

It is putting in and taking out the water fine, at I guess the correct temperatures, but it is not spinning... it just makes a 'clicking' noise but doesn't move...

I have pulled the machine out (very heavy!) and had a look inside, as someone had mentioned it could be the belt, but the belt is still in one piece and taut so I guess I have ruled that out.

Have also checked to see nothing is caught in the drum to stop it from spinning, but this is clear too...

Does anyone have any clue as to what could the problem - or the solution?!

Any help much much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, now is to point out that I am not the most technical of people, so you may need to go into more detail than that! lol

What are the brushes and what do they do etc? How do I know if it is them? Do I need to replace them etc?

Sponsored Links
Unplug before you do anything. The brushes are the white blocks in Breezers photo. To check them you need to remove them. It sometimes helps improve access if you take off the concrete block next to the motor. To release a brush you have to poke a thin screwdriver into the small cutout in the motor casing at the edge of the white (or black) block and lever the retaining tag in against the block then slide the block outwards. The brushes are fully worn when there is about 6mm of carbon poking out of the brass holder. The new ones are just pushed in the same way and should click as the retaining tag springs outwards. There is a tiny piece of brass you now have to bend outwards but there should be instructions for that on the packet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back