Hotpoint Reversomatic Dryer Plus 9324 - not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the above (ie Hotpoint 9324) tumble dryer. It has stopped heating (the drum still spins and everything else looks fine - just no heat).
It is an old machine but I am loathe to go out and buy a new one if it is a simple repair.
From what I can work out (from having looked around the internet) it looks like one of two things is likely to have happened, either the heating element has bust or the thermostatic cut out has tripped.
As it stopped working at about the same time as we declogged it of a load of fluff build up I am guessing (and hoping) that it is the latter.
I have read around how lots of machines have simple reset buttons either on the back or internally to reset the thermostatic cut out but it appears that the Hotpoint one doesn't have a reset function (though I have found an article that tells me how to rest even these thermostatic cut outs).

My problem however is in finding the thermostatic cut out !!!!

I have had the top and the back off this machine and can’t see anything that resembles the stat. The heating element seems to be at the front of the drum (making it nigh on impossible to get at - see pic.1 NB. the front of the machine is at the top of the picture) and under the drum is basically the drive wheel and motor for the belt (and air intake fan).
The only thing that might resemble a stat (without taking the drum out to check down the front but there doesn't look like there is room down there for the stat anyway) is behind the timer wheel. The timer wheel (on the front of the machine) has a small 'bag' of electronics inside directly behind the wheel (see pic.2). This bag is quite tight and is tied at the bottom with a sandwich bag type tie. Feeling the bag, I can feel a round device that would appear to resemble the stat in shape and size (with a very small dimple in the middle - see pic.3). However I cannot remove the bag (have tried by removing the tie and trying to tease the bag up). I don’t want to tear or cut the bag as I assume it is there for a purpose.

Can anyone tell me is this likely to be the stat ? If so, what is my best way at getting at it ? If not where am I likely to find the stat ?

Many thanks,

Andy_P.

Pic.1:-

Pic.2:-

Pic.3:-

Sponsored Links
The item with 2 wires, fixed to the bracket above the heating element in pic 1 looks like a thermostat. It is difficult to tell from the pic, but if it has a little red button between the 2 wire terminals then it is the resetable type & you just press down the button gently until you hear it click to reset. If there is no button & it tests open circuit with a multimeter then you will have to replace it. I am not familiar with your drier, but they often have 2 stats, 1 resetable & 1 overheat stat that is not (usually next to one another), so you may or may not have to look for another one. I doubt if the other item you refer to is a stat as it is not fixed to anything that will conduct the heat from the drum area to it. It looks like the timer motor to me.

Thanks jj. You were right, that was the stat.
Had it off and it looks OK. As I don't have a multimeter I did the naughty thing of disconnecting the wires from the stat and connecting them together (temporarily, have now put back as was) to see if the heating element would heat.
As it didn't I assume the heating element is actually bust !

Thanks anyway. Much appreciated.

Andy_P.

There may still be another stat somewhere else, & you really need some form of resistance tester to do do any type of fault finding, your method does not really prove anything.

Sponsored Links
What is a resistance tester (is that the same as a multimeter) ?
Are they expensive and where would I get one ?
Assuming I did get one how would I go about testing this appliance to assess whether it is another stat blown or whether it is the heating elemnt that's gone ?

Cheers,

Andy_P.

I should really have said conductivity, which yes a multimeter does & you can get one from any diy store, but it could be as simple as a battery & bulb & a couple of pieces of wire. You need to look around the rest of the drier in the element area to physically see if you can find another stat similar to the one in the pic. I am not sure whether there is one or not & nobody else seems to be offering a difinitive answer. When it comes to testing then you need to disconnect the component you wish to test & measure from one terminal to the other for a resistance You will get different readings for the stat & the element but if you do not get a reading on either component then it is faulty. Obviously all this should be done with the power disconnected.

The other thermostat is located by the mains lead at the back of the machine.It has a plastic push connector which you can unplug to test it.However the most likely cause of no heat on this one is the spiral elements coming detatched at the terminals.

I can't see the stat at the back (have taken a few more photos to make sure I am not missing anything obvious - this time the top of the photo is the back of the machine).
Firstly, am I missing the wood for the trees here guys (ie can you see the stat) ?
Secondly, assuming that it isn't the stat and is the element that needs reconnecting at its terminals, can you tell me where I would locate those terminals and how I get to them? Is it a front off the machine job ?

Really appreciate your help on this guys I would love to nail this problem.
Thanks.

Pic.4

Pic.5

Pic.6

I am really just guessing now, but as I cannot see any cables going to the element in pic 1, then I suspect the terminals & possibly the thermostat are at the bottm of the drum. Have you tried turning the drier upside down?

The exhaust thermostat wiring goes to the plastic connector with two brown wires coming out of it just next to the mains block,clearly visible in pic`s 4,5&6.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back