hotpoint Ultima Extra washing machine banging and squeeling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a hotpoint ultima 1600 spin washing machine and it is making loud banging noises and its making squeeling noises when on a spin. I have looked at the drum and if i try and move it around it is really stiff and makes a clicking noise. Will be very grateful for any help.
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
sounds like the bearings have gone.

look underneath can you see any brown stains at the back of to the drum (opposite end from where clothes go in)

a;sso poke the "ribs" of the big wheel (pulley) do any of them move?

as i said sound like bearings have gone, parts are cheap, but you need special tools to do the job, i suggest you call hp (when i used to do it i changed whole outer tub and spider (easier for me)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer, as you said you need special tools well i was just wondering i am fitter for a General Motors and was wondering would i possibly have the tools i need for the job or are they special tools used by the washing machine engineers. Thankyou for your help.

we used a steel collar, 2 thick steel washers (same size as bearings) 1 big steel washer that was bigger than diameter of collar, high tensile steel bolt, U bolt lots of spanners, they were custom made for hp,

Thanks again Breezer for getting back to me, i think the best thing i will do is like you said in the first place and call a HP engineer lot less trouble and messing around.

if he does a bearing change, give him loads of room, (he really will need it) and lots of tea

Get a quote from Hotpoint before you give them the go-ahead. You may decide to get a new machine as they are very expensive for their repairs.

Thanks fido for that was actually considering if it was worth buying a new machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back