Hotpoint UT47X Fan Oven overheating/overcooking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our oven is overheating/over cooking (basically everything cooks far quicker than it should and cakes etc get burnt!) - also inside is very dirty from expelled fats etc

Fan appears to be working OK, so I'm assuming it's the themostat - does it sound like that?

And is it self-fixable, or am I calling out Hotpoint?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like t/stat, does it cycle, can you hear it click, dose the neon go on/off.
T/stat should be able to be changed by a diyer, remember isolate from mains, you may have to remove the oven from the housing

Apologies for dragging this old thread up but in the interests of web rankings I found this thread ranked very high for the same problem I had with my hotpoint oven recently which I managed to fix myself.

The problem with my oven was that the thermostat had become caked with fat and was no longer functioning as it should. I guess the same would go for a faulty thermostat.

Symptoms were the oven would cook food really quickly, the light on the temperature guage would remain on and the oven would eventually overheat before the thermal cut out engaged and the oven would shut down completely before resetting and turning back on about 30 minutes later.

The first thing I did was isolate the oven from the mains by turning off the appropiate fuse in the fuse box which made the oven clock go off (along with the mains electricity). To be doubly sure I then switched OFF the big red switch on the wall in the kitchen which the oven connected to in order to have a double safety net.

Anyway the thermostat on my oven was located underneath the top plate of the oven which is held on by four screws. I removed these and the top cover.

My oven is a hotpoint undercounter fan assisted single oven. So I had to remove the oven from the kitchen unit housing in order to gain access to the top cover.

The thermostat is located in the centre of the top section of the oven which vents on to the cylindrical cooling fan at the back.

Two pull off connectors connect the 'stat to the oven circuitry. After removing them I undid the two screws to remove the thermostat.

The face of the 'stat was covered in fat/grime so I cleaned it. I noticed that the vent was also held on by two screws so undid these and removed it and found this too was covered internally by fat/grime. I then cleaned this.

Bassically the vent covered what look like a circular chimney which is open into the oven. Heat must rise up in the oven and into the chimney and vent and then the thermostat must register the temperature.

Upon cleaning I put the vent, thermostat and and connection wires back in place. I then replaced the top cover and re-fitted the oven in the kitchen unit.

The whole thing took only 15 minutes to do (including the cleaning) and after fitting the oven back in the housing I turned it on to find the temperature would now rise up and turn off at the desired level.

Result. I just hope this helps someone else as this problem has gone on for some weeks and a lot of food and effort has been wasted in the process.

Sponsored Links
I find that I can make a post on diynot, do a gooogle search, not matching the post & I find my own post.
I think diynot is ranked very high in the google rankins.
Anyway
Good of you to post the 'how to do it', may help others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back