Fan Oven has started tripping the circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into this current house about 3 years ago and had no problems with wiring etc.
the kitchen has a built in AEG oven/fan oven. About a month ago the fan oven was on and the dinner was cooking, when all of a sudden the main circuit breaker on the fuse box (as I still call it) tripped. After some investigations it became apparent it was the fan oven that was causing the problem.
The oven and grill all work fine still, but if you turn the switch to the fan oven setting, everything goes off and you have to reset the circuit breaker under the stairs.

is there anything obvious I should check before calling out a pro to come and take a look at it.

Sponsored Links
Generally the main oven is the fan oven.
The main oven could have 1 or 2 elements

Sponsored Links
I see. So is there an easy check I should do to diagnose the problem, or is it something I should just call in a pro for and let them sort it out?

It depends on skill level.
If it has one fan at the back of the oven, it is probably accessable from inside the oven.
Switch the power off.
Remove the element / fan assy. remove 1 wire from the element, ensure this wire dosnt touch anything & try the oven again, if it dosnt trip anything then the element has gone.
If it still trips then its not the element.
To do this the element assy will need to be earthed (screw it back in place)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back