Hotpoint washing machine (FDD9640) problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Got a strange problem here. Having just done a whites wash fine, I used the same powder to do a darks wash and, after the cycle was finished, I ended up with tiny white deposits on the clothes.
index.jpg

The little white deposits are also in the washer itself, particularly on the rubber seal

index.jpg

I then tried a 'fast wash' - the particles remained - then a normal (2 hour) wash but the white particles remained.
The washing machine has a 'cleaning action' button so I tried this with no load in the machine to see if I could get red of the white particles but this was unsuccessful too.
My feeling is that the particles must be 'undissolved' washing powder but, given that I used the very same powder for the whites wash immediately before, I'm kinda stumped.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here?
Thanks, Chris.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links
No hot water.
Heating element faulty.
Maybe.
Try a hot wash and touch the glass to make sure it's hot.

what is the temperature of the water?

when you measured the powder, what amount did you use?

Hi Johnny & John,
Thanks for your input.
As to amount of washing powder, I used the same amount as always - one scoop.
I can't remember if the washer was hot after the whites wash, but it certainly wasn't immediately after all the darks washes, and they were supposed to be 40 degree washes, so I think that may be the problem.
My only thought is that I would have expected an error code if the machine didn't get up to the required temperature.
I have a multimeter, so I'll check the heating elements for continuity this afternoon.
Thanks once again guys. I'll post later this afternoon and give an update.
Chris.

Sponsored Links
how big is the scoop?

How does its size compare with the instructions on the box (e.g. hard water/soft water; full load/half load; very dirty/slightly dirty)?

Modern machines use less water, and you can get a free graduated scoop from the powder companies
example https://www.persil.com/uk/dosing.html

The wash cycle should be heated, but the rinses are almost certainly all cold, so the washing will not be hot when you take it out. "Quick wash" may do less washing and less rinsing. "Cotton" more thorough than "easy-care."

If you are in a hard-water area, reducing the amount of powder and adding half a scoop of Washing Soda Crystals will improve washing, and dissolve soap better.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258133332

MYSTERY SOLVED!
Thanks for all the advice guys but my girlfriend has just found the answer.
A pillow (used mainly by the cat) had developed a tear and the little white deposits were nothing more than PILLOW STUFFING!
A clear case of making the poor assumption that the deposits were washing powder.
Thanks once again John and Johnny,
Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back