hotpoint washing machine goes straight to "end"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I hope someone might be able to offer some advice...

we have an 8yr old Hotpoint WMA58P washing machine from new. recently it was getting really noisy on spin, so i bit the bullet and ordered a set of drum bearings and thought, while i've got it apart, i'll replace the motor brushes for good measure.

Taking it all apart, i labelled both the connections and the plugs so i knew where to put everything back, then stripped everything out. I successfully replaced both the brushes and bearings and put it all back together. the washer worked before i took it all apart, just very noisily. While dismantling it, I noticed the motor brushes had ALOT of soot and were very worn. there was black carbon dust in piles on the floor of the machine. good job i bought new ones!

after putting it all back together, I turned it on, put it on a spin cycle and this is where the problems started.

it fills for approx 5 seconds and then the light to show which cycle it's on goes straight to "end" but the door doesn't unlock. if i choose "!" on the dial, it will empty continously but not stop. If i power off / power on and choose any other cycle it does the same, fill for 5 seconds and then goto "end"

I've tried putting the old motor brushes back in and also tried disconnecting the heater incase that was stopping the cycle. i've blown down the pressure tube and there's no blockage, i've blown into the pressure switch and can hear click when blowing / stopping.

At no point does the motor spin or agitate, but i don't believe the drum is filling up as much as it should do. previously the fill time was definately longer than 5 seconds...

I've spent an hour googling for answers, checked several forums and read http://www.washerhel...lp_4.html#cl_q2 before asking for help, still cannot seem to find the answer

Thanks in advance,
josh

Sponsored Links
Look for a broken wire from the motor to the pcb they also break at the motor plug end.

Hi mate.

right, checked the obvious, i'd left one of the fill taps turned off :(

I've tried again and motor still didn't agitate or spin. checked for continuity / broken wires between pcb and motor, all checked out ok.

tried plugging motor in upside down incase had it the wrong way up, stood well back and hey presto, this time the motor works...

so, had it fill properly, then cancelled cycle to put it all back together under sink... but now it seems to be stuck on drain. won't do anything else...

no signs of water anywhere, no leaks i can see... any ideas?

thanks again for the advice,

josh

Sponsored Links
Is the waste pipe down too low. If not it looks like its damaged the pcb by having the motor plug in the wrong way.

Hiya mate,

thanks for the advice. Turned out was entirely my fault putting it back together while tired & not concentrating.

Had a wire not pushed in properly to pressure sensor. this wouldn't let washer get past initial drain part of any cycle.

now the drum bearings are done I can hear the motor whine. ggrr... gonna see if makes the noise without the belt to be sure but it's not looking good....

thanks again,
josh

That whine is only the motor brushes bedding in , after a few spins it will disappear.

Hiya,

The washer is on it's first "full" load after 1 empty wash, it's gotta be nearing the end of the cycle and your right, it is alot quieter after a few full RPM spins...

If i'm picky, it bounces around a bit while getting upto speed but once spinning it's fine. could just be an uneven load on one side... might try it with half a load and check... just want to be sure it's ok for family if i'm out...

having dialled down the spin speed because of bad & really noisy drum bearings for a while now, i'd forgotten how noisy it really is on 1400 spin cycle.. was never really a "quiet" machine :) but certainly seems to be running well...

thanks again for your help,
josh

Yes that's a out of Balance load they always do that on a heavy load. You done good with the bearings and brushes. Give yourselve a pat on the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back