Bosch washing machine drum not turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week my bosch (WFF 1201) washing machine started making a loud grinding noise when spinning, and then the drum stopped completely.

It fills, pumps out and goes through its cycle normally. Is this likely to be a motor problem, or something to do with the PCB?

If motor, could it be the brushes?

John

Sponsored Links
Take the back off and see if the belt has come off.
The grinding noise is worrying as it may be the bearings have collapsed.
Won't know until you carry out some basic checks.

Did as instructed, and the motor wasn't turning, the belt looked fine, and I tried turning the drum by hand with minimal resistance, so I guess the bearings are OK.

While I was doing these checks, to my surprise/horror it sprang back into life again - motor turning, drum going round - but only for about 2/3 mins! It has now lapsed back into its comatose state again. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Carbon brushes in the motor have worn down. You'll need to replace them.

Thank you sleepyhead and JJ4091, :D

I changed the brushes this weekend, and it's working fine again now.

Initially, the motor sounded a little rough, but now we've used the machine a few times it seems to be back to its usual noise level.

Thank you again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back