Hotpoint WD440 not getting hot on dry cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint WD440 which is not getting hot on the dry cycle. I have removed the lid and checked the heater element which has a resitance of 49.8 ohms, which I assume is ok. I am not sure what the other parts on the metal tube that the heater is attached to.

In the photos below I have tested the round thing shown which I assume is some sort of themostat. It has an open circut. However I do't know what the other things are? There are two that are held in with a bolt but there is only one wire going to them, how can I test these with a multimeter. Or is the item below the one that is faulty?

The thing in the top left of the picture also seemed to have an open circut but the wiring seemed strange

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The thing on the left is a one shot stat and u can reset it with pin on the blob of paint push pin though the paint till it clicks,if it goes again then check for air flow/fan jammed etc.

Thank you very much! Reset the one shot stat and it is now working again! :D

Just out of interest what are the other things in that picture and how come the circular stat had no resistance when I tested it?

That's a thermistor it measures temp it will measure once it's got heat in the heater box.if you google thermistor it will tell you too long winded to explain it , glad it's fixed.

Sponsored Links
Hi, we have the same problem - the dryer just doesn't heat. Pushing a pin in the part mentioned didn't work How do I test the parts for continuity to see which has gone?
I've tested the pin part, that gives a result other than 1. The thermostat gives 1 and so does the heating element? So both gone or is one of them meant to give 1!? Thanks

1 wot, test it with a continuity tester it should bleep.

Hi, Well I have a multimeter, I set it to Ohms, 200 scale, so the display shows 1 for open, on touching the 'snapshot' fuse part the reading changes so I presume thats ok. On testing the thermostat it stayed at 1 too which I presume is ok because this part works as heat changes. Testing heating element it stayed at 1 which I presume is BAD! On phoning a local spares shop they confirmed my theories so I have a new heating element on the way. Cheaper than online too so thats a reminder to everyone to try and shop local too! :D
apparently the older flat element (ours!) comes loose and shakes during machine's operation, this fractures the element.
That seems to have happened with ours as it was very noisy.
Hope that helps other people, I found the researching of exactly how to test for continuity and what result you should be getting, confusing. Hope this will shed some light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back