Hotpoint WD440G burning smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having rather a lot of trouble with my Hotpoint WD440G recently. It started with a split cold inlet pipe, then mains filter and then brushes on the motor. Now I have another problem!

When the unit runs there is a burning hot smell coming from it. It is far more obvious when on the wash and rince cycle, not on the spin. At first I thought it was the new motor brushes, but I think that perhaps it is something to do with when the water is heated? Again it seemed stronger on the 60 degree wash than a 30 degree cycle.

Any suggestions what I should be looking at and where abouts on the machine?

Thanks for any help out there!

Sponsored Links
So I have cleaned the filter, found the usual spare change and goo that builds up over time. Have it running so fingers crossed!

One follow on question how tight should I be able to get the largest of the clips back on - I guess it isn't under much pressure when draining, I'm just paranoid about getting another leak.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Well after another couple of washes, especially 60 degree wash, we notice the smell is still there.......any further advice on what it could be?

Still think it is water heater related.

Thanks!

Have you tried boil washes with white vinegar could be scale or muck on the heater. do that a few times also could be fluff in the heater box remove the 6 screws on the box and see if it's got a load of fluff in it.

Hi Rocks, me again! When you talk about the heater do you mean the large unit on the top of the drum? Isn't that just for the drying cycles? I'm getting the burning/hot smell on the wash cycles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back