Hotpoint WD72

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have read all the messages with WD72 in the content but nothing seems to quite match mine.
When on the 1200 spin I get a loud knocking in relation to the drum speed. I had the machine running again later with 800 spin selected and whilst the knocking was still there it did not seem as severe. I took the top off and can't see anything amiss although the drum does seem to be able to move about a lot and there is evidence of the heater box on top of the drum making contact with the detergent drawer housing. I am wondering if it could be a spring broken or the shockers/mountings broken?
Any suggestions?
If it is the springs or mountings does anyone know if they can be accessed through the back of the machine?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How old?
Unless this is an unusual design, springs at top so lid off and shocks at bottom so lay on its left side to access bottom opening.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think the machine is around 10 years old, not a great deal of use but maybe the occasional unintentional slight overload. I have checked the springs at the top and both are fine (front and back). Shocks at the bottom look fine too although there is a bit of evidence of almost full compression (slight sign of 'grease/oil' fairly far up the post as though they have been well compressed at some point. There is evidence of the motor (looking from the front top, at the rear of right hand side) hitting against the outer wall this inside panel is marked and the outside has bumps outwards. Could it just be the shocks that need replaced?
As an additional item that I have just remembered, it has a digital display and I have noticed this fading during use of the dryer function (heat related)?

Personally I would agree regarding the shocks.
Where are the weights located on the drum? Are they complete and in good condition?

Wouldn't think display fading would be due to heat from the dryer heater unless heat is escaping, and only does it whilst on drying? Excess current draw by the dryer heater.

Sponsored Links
Weight seems fine and intact. As long as the display works when I set the machine that is fine, it can be a nuisance when trying to check how much drying time is left that's all.
I have had a rake around the net and found this site:-
http://www.yourspares.co.uk/Search.aspx?search_keywords=wd72+suspension
It has the suspension leg, socket, clamp and pivot. The description says that the suspension leg does not include the suspension rod? Do you know what they mean by the 'rod', from what I can see from the image it is showing the outer sleeve and the inner piston so I don't know what they mean by the rod? This was just a first rake so I might try again when I have more time.[/url]
Update, found another site:-
http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es186456/washing-machine-suspension-body?SearchTerm=suspension
Comments there suggest that you do not need to remove the rod so I think that is why you can buy them separately to the outer and seems to be fairly straightforward to replace if you have enough space.
More research and the 'rod' I am seeing with the damper is actually the lower end fixing and I would still need a rod.

I have found a kit on Ebay which has everything including the rods so I may be better with that in case it is the rod that is damaged as well as the suspension unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back