Hotpoint wd865 soap dispenser leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have read the posts in here already, 1 suggested a kit with an 89gbp labour cost and another is to fit a tap and raise the front of the machine.

My query is our machine has started to do this after about 3 years, now granted my wife doesnt clean the machine on a monthly basis, but i would go over board ( i thought) and throw 3 calgon tablets in it and do a hot wash every 3-4 months and do this twice in a day.

Now speaking to hotpoint today, they didnt know of any kit and they didnt think that adjusting the machine height at the front would help. ( i tend to think that something must have gone wrong either limescale or part failure / seal failure, on the grounds that the machine worked fine)

They have only sold me a "Professional" lol Limescale remover, but im willing to give it a go.

Does anyone have any idea what this kit is or perhaps can provide advice as to whether this could just be a pipes furred up / limescale problem.

Would really appreciate any help..

or do we know if the previous people resolved the problem.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
what sort of leak?

when filling or when washing?

have you taken the drawer out and cleaned it, and its slot and pipe?

Hi John,

Its more of a continual pumping of water out of the dispenser. This happens on most of the washing cycles apart from (off the top of our heads) 30 degree handwash.

We have never used the dispensing drawer, however as a matter of course i have taken the drawer out and cleaned it (which it didnt need to be honest) however i was also checking to see if if there was a rubber seal around the drawer which may have disintegrated. Ther was no rubber seal, so i presume it is designed to be a good seal without any rubber seal, if you catch my drift.. The drawer that it resides in was clear again i did rub a cloth around the inside to be safe.

i didnt clean any pipe though, i presume this would be easily visible underneath the drawer, if i were to remove it again.

I hope the additional information regarding it not pumping out water on all cycles helps.. thanks for your response so far :)

does the water level look high through the porthole?

Sponsored Links
I know this might sound like a silly question, however lol

If i was to go home and do a load without any washing in, how far up should the water go??

This might aid me in answering your question..

I'll probably do a 60 degree wash with some limescale remover at the same time.

is the roof of the dispenser clean ,is a sock jammed in the dipenser pipe behind it :?:

water is usually hardly reaching the bottom of the porthole during ordinary wash (is higher for Delicate or Rinse but I would think less than half way up the glass)

And I hope you are using a non-foaming Automatic powder, not the stuff for twintubs or hand wash?

yep its non foaming,

and to rocks, thanks for taking the time to stop and post :)

Im preuming that ur reply wasnt leading to a tommy cooper stlye joke :)
I think i will taker out the dispenser drawer and check this dispensing pipe, is it clearly visible upon removal of the drawer guys? i want to make sure i am checking the correct pipe when i get home.

Thanks for your responses thus far.

the pipe is a big black one remove the lid and front consol panel its at the front of the dispenser clip is at the front .in that tube should be a sock follow tube to drum hole ,you might have to remove front panel for easy access ,just like that :D

yours is not leaking from the dispenser ,so you dont need one :p

lol at the last comments :LOL:

Good to see people here with my sense of humour :)

Ok so i took off the top, removed the soap dispenser (for those that try it, the black rubber hose clips on the back of the dispenser)

{ i am not condoning this method of cleaning and i am not saying in any way that you should do this}

i may have gone a wee bit overboard, i used nearly a kilo of limescale preventer (sodium based) then pouring vinegar adding a bit at a time.. hell yeh i wanted to make sure that this thing was cleaned properly and any blockage was removed.

so good news is i think there was a slight blockage as the water didnt come hurtling out like it used to.

I still had some water seepage ( 90 degree cycle full wash, 2 hour programme) at 30 mins to go and at 18 mins to go.

On removal of the drawer, i could see the water had travelled back up the dispenser pipe and into the drawer cavity, spilling over the front lip.

Putting my thinking cap on ( reminds self to buy a new one hehe) i wondered if this was where the washing machine would expell water through the waste due to rinse programmes, so i have moved the waste connection (using a self cutting waste connecting kit with a non return valve) to behind the washing machine at a slightly lower point.

This has also enabled me to put a large (upside down) u shape at the top of the pipe to the wate connector ( roughly 1/3rd of the pipe now comes down from the highest point to the connecting point of the waste)

now i put it all back in place and i have no water AT ALL coming out of the dispenser... YAY!!!!!

If only i had put the pipe back on properly and didnt have a small seepage of water coming from inside the washine machine

D'Oh, So im going back to sort this and also to put another couple of 90 degree washes through it..

Also just to be completely overboard the Hotpoint Limescale and detergent remover ( 17 pound for 20 sachets, 1 a month) so after a couple of 90 degree washes, im gonna slap 2 of these in it and do another 60 degree wash for good measure.

If people are doing monthly cleans of their machine, remember to use the cleaner in the soap dispenser, im only saying this as we use the pouches / tablets to wash and therefore i used to put the cleaner in the drum as i stupidly thought that as we didnt use the dispenser we didnt need to put the cleaner in there.. ?But the machine draws all it water through the drawer, so put the cleaner in there....

Yet another D'oh, but hey ho, if one other person can learn from this then thats great..... heres hoping im not the only silly sausage that doesnt put the cleaner in the dispensing drawer.......

So thanks for all your help so far folks, i'll update this later.. CHEERS!!! :D

ok well most of the cycles now work,

however the 90 degree wash cycle still throws water out at 20 minutes to go, which is a damn sight better than b4, where it threw water out at 30 and 20..

Id really appreciate any other ideas here folks.

I can manage to take off the display panel, soap dispenser and take the front off. But i cannot remove the retaining wire holding in the rubber seal for the drum.... i.e. where you put in the washing...

I also cannot work out how to remove the clip which retrains the rubber sock for the dispensing pipe for the soap drawer?

Im wondering whether i need to look in the horizontal pipe which the rubber sock is connected to and see if there is a blockage there????

Anyway guys, im in your hands again, any suggestions are most welcome....

have u checked the filer at the back its poss blocked :?:

Trust me on this your filter will almost certainly be blocked which also blocks the pressure chamber and causes overfill and water to be ejected out of the dispenser when it tries to empties and goes into a spin with water still in the drum.
Filter is at the back.Take bottom panel off you will see a large jubilee style clip holding the hose to the drum.Undo that and the filter is in there.
UNPLUG APPLIANCE FIRST OF COURSE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back