Hotpoint WM54 bearings&spider or suspension or both mayb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with my Hotpoint WM54 banging like a jackhammer on spin.

With the top off I can see the rear of the drum is moving in a sort of left right, front to back wobble and the motor occasionally touches the side or back, but I'm fairly sure the severity of the noise cannot be coming from there or it would have surely split the case open like a can of beans.

would any of you kind people be able to share some of your wisdom and help me crack this problem or is this a job for a Hotpoint engineer

Kind regards in advance

Russ

Sponsored Links
Put your hand inside the drum at the front edge and see if it moves up or down at all
Remove the belt and give the drum a spin, does it make a rumbling noise
Are the top springs fitted at the front and rear from the plate on the top centre of the drum to the front and rear of the chassis.
When you press down on the top of the drum with the top removed does it spring back quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for that fast reply!

I've had my hands inside, I've tried pushing the drum up and down (reffering to the inner spinning bit, and the outer metal non spinning bit where the seal is) as there is no loose movement at all, it will move a bit but its clearly under tension.

after removing the belt and giving it a good spin its totally silent and smooth and spins for a long time.

The top springs are both in place and the drum springs back instantly, I could probably pogo it down the street, might keep me more entertained than getting my hands oily on an evening!

Suspension gone needs replacing easy to do just 2 13 mm nuts on the base and slide out.

Sponsored Links
Hi Rocks1,

I've read a fair few of your other posts/replys before starting a thread here, i must say your a real credit thanks for your time.

I've turned it upside down and taken the bolts off, I can push the bits down ok but can't angle them at all to get them off, the seem to be attached firmly at the other end, I'm I being to shy with these, shall I just man up and give them a pull

Kind regards,

Russ

They just pull off ,bit of brute force and pull them to the open space , down and slide you only need half inch to clear the base pull on the concrete as well.

Hi again,

I've got these suspension legs and installed them. They don't seem to have any more resistance than my originals, and compress with the same force and rebound at the same speed. there is not really any sort of damping effect from what I can tell but obviously I can only move it as quick as gravity will let me.

A quick test run has revealed the problem still persists. A loud banging like someone flattening hardcore with a whacker plate :(

As the machine goes from spinning slowly it starts banging straight away and as the RPM goes up it bangs quicker and quicker until its banging so fast its more like a vibration (sounds a bit like a flat V8 at opening up the throttle to full speed)

I'll take it apart again and check all the blocks are tight and stuff.

I did find a length of 90° plastic under the machine, but I'm not sure if its from the machine or just got under there somehow. looks like a bit of trim or something.

if anyone could give me any pointers it would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Russ.

Hi guys, I'm hoping by adding another reply I might get a bump up here on the forum :D and since I've just found out I'm being made redundant in 5 weeks, I'm hoping my problem can be solved without needing a new machine or engineer

Again, many thanks

Hi folks,

As you know the condition of my washer isn't great, I've eliminated the suspension rod issue and they are apparently fine (either that or the new ones are just as bad as the old)

A new development.

Now when I put my hands inside the drum through the door and press hard a certain direction while turning the drum, it bangs or grinds or catches something (or all 3 at once!)

Is this called a drum "Spider" issue? or am I off the ball here?

Kind regards,

Russ

Have you taken the drum apart. Whip front panel off and front plate to see inside the drum. Could be broken drum support heater bracket loose or something inside the drum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back