Hotpoint WM63 P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Hotpoint WM63P washer, noisy on spin; (Drum bearings).

I would like to replace them, but am not sure how to go about it - I can't seem to be able to find and downloadable repair manual.

Has anybody done this job?

Is it DIYable (I'm fairly DIY savvy)?

How long roughly will it take?

Should I bother?

Do I need any special tools (Pullers circlip pliers etc)

Thanx :(

Sponsored Links
changing bearings on a washing machine is one of the longer more involved jobs. Hotpoint models do need a puller for inner and outer bearings and the puller is only supplied to hotpoint white goods engineers or agents so you would need to know someone in the trade and persuade them to loan them to you.Hotpoint have a 5year parts warranty on their machines. If it is under 5years this is a job which would be worth while being done by them although you would have to pay quite a hefty set labour charge

Well the machine is over 8 years old, and I don't know anyone who might have the special pullers, although I could get most types of ordinary pullers; - so I suppose it's a no brainer then :(

well bottom of this page read post "bearing change on wm63"then You might be in a better position to decide

Sponsored Links
I had read this before, but having re-read it, it does make a bit more sense.

In that 1. It's going to take a long time, 2. I'll probably need tools that I don't have, 3. I'll need to strip the machine.

I have bought a new machine now (Hoover), but still have the WM63 in the garage, and might have a go - I've got nothing to loose - if I do get the thing split down OK (seems unlikely if the bearing race is split in two, but i won't know that without splitting it) then I can asses the economics of buying the bearings/seals, and fixing it, then selling it. If I get to the stage where I can't shift the bearing(s) then I'll cut my losses and take it to the tip!

One thing I know is that the rear bearing (The one that I can see behind the spider) is intact, its the other (inner) one whichI assume is shot. There is 5mm of play at the front of the drum (up and down, or side to side)

:idea:

Anyway, I'll learn something

Yes you are correct about the ecconomics of the repair. Unfortunately like a lot of other appliances, prices of a lot of spare parts I am sure are deliberately set at a level taking into account the cost of labour that purchasing a complete new appliance would be the sensible option. Really good for the manufacturer but what a cost to the enviroment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back