hotpoint wm63 went bang !

HT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have jsut registered having read some of the advice provided by others hoping maybe someone can help - i own a hotpoint wm63 washing machine which had bee working perfectly but is now out of warranty and gone BANG! I recently moved the machine into my garage and plumbed it in. When i powered it on it immediately went bang from what appeared to be the lower back of the machine ? it also tripped the mains in the house. I have checked the standard fuse etc and they are fine - i have read several bits of advice saying it may be the mains suppressor, so i by passed this but stil no joy. The machine remains completely dead / no lights etc does anyomne have any idea whta may have blown or tests i can perform to narrow down the fault. There does not appear to be any burn damage to the main circuit board and the motor and heater all look fine - but no power ?

Sponsored Links
door lock gone. have you taken pcb out and looked at the black conection block first one , to see if a track is blown netruel wire from door lock

Ok - not sure im looking in the correct place ? I have removed the PCB but would need to confirm - looking down from the top of the machine under the lid there are 4 connecters on the top of the PCB. Going from the front of the machine they are colour coded black, blue , green then red. It would appear that the very first track on the PCB maybe blown (i.e it is completely white in colour instead of the pale green that all the other tracks are) I assume thats blown ?
If thats he case does this need a completely new PCB ? and is the cause of the blow a faulty door switch ?
If so and to ensure I am also looking at the right thing is the door switch the browny red plastic unit held in by two philips screws located inside the front of the machine behind the door catch (which ive also now removed)

yep all correct ,if your handy with a soldering iron solder a link along the blown track .and then replace door lock cost of door lock a tenner cost of timer 70 ish, if you link timer wire all you need is a door lock .

Sponsored Links
Rocks - thanks for the advice - I am fine with a soldering iron so can fix the track. I don't quite understand your comment "cost of timer 70 ish, if you link timer wire all you need is a door lock" are you saying a new timer with pcb would be 70ish ? and can you explain what you mean by "if you link timer wire" ? sorry if this appears a stupid question but Im learning as i go here - thanks

he is saying a new timer ill be £70, i bet it will be more like £140.

he is also saying if you solder a wire in place of the burnt out pcb track, you will only have to replave the door interface / door lock

correct ,timer is 72.99 from hp ,if you repair it ie link the broken track you dont have to replace timer , all you need is a door lock otherwise replace both your looking at about 90 quid for parts .hope this explains it

Rocks - just a word of thanks - having soldered a new wire acros the blown track and bought a new door switch of ebay for £4.99 you have saved me paying for an emgineer plus parts and all is working fine - thanks again

Hi I know this is an old thread but i had exactly tis problem with my grandfathers machine I changed the lock and found the burnt track but now only some of the programs start and the timer does not move on , so I found myself here what i wanted to ask is it possible the timer its self was damaged when the door lock burnt out the track on the pcb, i have found a board and timer on ebay for £31.99 but have already bought the door lock and am not sure if i should fork out the extra money on such an old machine, It has had very light use though and my grandfather always uses calgon and never overloads the machine. thanks in advance Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back