Hotpoint WM76 Washing m\c screeching like a banshee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 - 1\2 year old Hotpoint top of the range (ha ha) washing machine that has been used less than average I would say which has recently started to make a screeching sound just as it finishes the final spin.

After checking posts on here for similar problems I took the rear inspection cover and the top off, and run the machine empty on a 1400rpm spin. It did not make any noise whatsoever during the spin or at the rundown. I have checked the drum bearing, both by removing the drive belt and trying to move the drum up and down, (in which there is no appreciable movement). and also a visual check of the race itself, and checked for signs of seal leakage or damage and can find nothing untoward. There are no signs of the drum hitting the side of the machine either. I would add that this is an intermittent fault, but is becoming more apparant at each wash cycle. It seems to happen when the machine is really full, but I am not 100% sure about that!

I did not check the gas struts that somebody has mentioned as I knew nothing about this before reading posts on this forum. Does my machine have these?

I would be grateful for any pointers before I call Hotpoint in under the 5 year parts guarantee.

Incidently my previous hotpoint lasted 23 years, and all I had to do was replace an impeller, then the water p\p and ultimately the motor brushes, but that's progress for you.

Sponsored Links
I retract the statement about the noise the machine makes. I can confirm now that it is more like bricks rattling around in a cement mixer, and I am not being facetious.

Could it indeed be one of these gas struts that I am not even sure are in my machine, as I wasn't even looking for such a thing. It definitely sounds more like a tinny sound, as though somebody was battering the side of the machine with a jack hammer incredibly quickly.

not for a hotpoint they don't.

I never did know if they are gas or what, but yes your m/c does have 2 of them, they hold the outer drum up, but that is not the point, it is not them, from what you have said you have a coin or similar trapped between the inner and outer drum, it will sit their quite happily untill its spin time, the water (whats left) will pick up the coin and whizz it round as it goes, the coin then hits the inner and outer drum making lots of noise.

gettting it out is usually easy.

pull m/c forward tip it to 45 degrees, switch it on for about 15 seconds, this then puts water into m/c, switch m/c OFF, set to rinse, then switch m/c on, this will pump water out. (all through this the drum will hardly move as you only have it on for 15 secs MAX)

you may have to repeat this process

This should then move the coin to the coin trap, remove coin trap and coin.

The coin trap is at the back of the m/c outer drum, the safest way to access it is to put m/c on its back, but you may have to remove inlet hoses to do this, coin trap is connected to the pump and depending on what month it is, determines how the coin trap is secured, but it is usually some form of clip, which you should undo carefully

I take no responsability if you drop the m/c or any other damage how so ever caused

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for the replies to my post.

Breezer, excuse me for seeming thick, but when you say tilt the machine at 45 degrees, would I be right in assuming that you mean to tilt it forward?

When you say put the machine on its back do you mean for example tilted backwards at an angle, and supported by a helper and not completely flat on its back.

One more question please Breezer, if I can't manage to get the coin or button etc out would it do any damage being left where it is?

pappyon said:
Breezer, excuse me for seeming thick, but when you say tilt the machine at 45 degrees, would I be right in assuming that you mean to tilt it forward?

no backwards, the coin trap is at the back

pappyon said:
When you say put the machine on its back do you mean for example tilted backwards at an angle, and supported by a helper and not completely flat on its back.
no, flat on its back, that way it can not fall over, a helper will not be able to stop it, and if you are in the way.........

pappyon said:
One more question please Breezer, if I can't manage to get the coin or button etc out would it do any damage being left where it is?
I have seen a knife (honest) inside one, it smashed a hole in the outer drum, they wondered why it was leaking. coins will dent the inner drum (if they havent already) it can also (eventually) smash the heater

Thank you very much Breezer for your help it is much appreciated.

I eventually got into the sump hose, but all I could find at the bottom of it was a plastic button no bigger than a button from a set of pyjamas or similar. Could that have cause such a horrendous noise?

Anyway the noise has stopped , (touch wood) so presumably that's what was causing it. By the way do service engineers have a special tool to get those cheap, nasty clips off? The larger one at the bottom of the
drum was a nightmare, and even harder to get over the spigot (which as too short to accomodate the worm on the jubilee clip I was going to use) when I was putting it back on. I have nightmares about it coming off in the middle of a wash or when the machine is full of water!

Could you tell me please on the Hotpot WM76 machine do you have to take the motor off to get at the brushes ?

if its a cable tie, then we used to put a new one (i used 2) on

if its the metal "clip" ones, yes there was a tool, but a pair of "gas pliers" worked better (gas pliers, water pump pliers, call them what you will)

as for the brushes, no, the motor stays put, here see mine

Breezer I thought you might like to know that the noise started up in the machine again, and got progressively worse to such an extent that it was on the verge of taking off through the window and sounded as though it was breaking up inside. My better half run out of the kitchen she got such a fright.

Called out the Hotpot Service Engineer today as the machine is under 5 years old and entitled to free parts. One leg of the drum spider had sheared right through, due to metal fatigue, and was only being held on by a set pin. I'm glad Hotpot don't build jet engines.

The machine was repaired for £35 inspection fee, and £55 labour, total £90. I think I got good value for money. Having said that no way will this machine last any way near as long as the last one, the 95622 Hotpot model!

Thanks again for your assistance again, and a belated compliments of the season to you. You are to be commended for the time you spend on this site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back