Hotpoint WMFUG742 (Design fault model according to whirlpool)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So it turns out I have one of the Hotpoint\Indesit models that likes to occasionally catch fire. I'm a bit annoyed about this as I spent good money on this machine. Thankfully mine has been working perfectly so far. I rang the hotline (on hold for 30 min) only to get a clueless operator who couldn't give me any info on when my machine would be replaced, couldn't look up any of my details from the web site and took 3 attempts to take my details again.

So since mine is out of warranty anyway, I popped the top off to have a look at the door lock connector that is supposed to be the cause of the problem. As you can see the door lock itself has 3 spade terminals and where the wires go into the plug connector there are 3 insulation displacement (IDC) connectors. The red wire is a smaller diameter than the other 2 which is odd, and it also seems to have soot on the outside of the wire at the plug end as some of it rubbed off on my fingers. See pics:

DSC_0391.JPG
DSC_0393.JPG
DSC_0394.JPG

I appreciate that the advice from the manufacturer is "Option 1 - unplug it and don't use it, or only use it on cold wash" but as I have wife, baby & mother-in-law living here and it's going to be January at the very earliest for a repair/replacement and they have around half a million machines in the queue, I'm looking for advice!

Option 2 - Snip the IDC connector off the end and replace with 3 crimped or soldered spade connectors.

Option 3 - Keep using it, just don't have it on when we're asleep or out of the house

How dangerous do people think this connector is? What would you do?

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that it was the door lock or switch that ws actually the problem leading to the pl/skt overheating rather than the actual connectors so not sure option 2 would cure things. I am willing to be corrected on that though.
On a previous post about this problem the op smelt burning before the machine caught fire https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hotpoint-washing-machine-burning-smell-opens-on-spin.508117/ so if yours is the same lock it seems you have caught it very early & it may be a while before it becomes dangerous. At the end of the day it is up to you what level of risk you consider you would subject your family to.
I am led to believe that Hotpoint are reimbursing people the cost of using laundrettes until the repairs are done but you would need to confirm that in writing with them.

I would be wary of any "adaptations" that you may make. The maker could then claim that what you have done invalidates any replacement or reimbursements that could [should] be forthcoming?

As an aside I for one have witnessed at least four Tumble Drier fires, or at least the aftermath of same, when undertaking Insurance Claims.

To date I have had no Washer lock fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back