Hotpoint WMFUG742 "F06" and oddities...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening peeps,

The folks washing machine has once again gone on the blink. It was one of them that I believe now is subject to the recall, however, I replaced the switch in it prior to the machine being subject to it (as the door wouldn't lock shut).

So, the pretty standard thing of the door not sensing it is shut properly, but if you slam it hard it would seem to work most of the time.

This evening it finished its cycle, I opened the door (but didn't power the machine off), and then approx 5 mins later it decided to suddenly display F06, flash all the lights at about 1hz, and the drain pump was running continuously. Turned off at the power switch on the machine, and it was displaying the "door lock" symbol. Turned it back on, the machine thought the door was locked shut, and as a result, you could start a wash cycle with it open. But - leave it not running a cycle for approx 5 mins (whilst a program is selected), and then it goes straight back to displaying F06, flashing the lights, and running the drain pump. Maybe it thinks it hasn't finished the last program?

Turning off at the mains for an hour+ and back on, it seems to do the same thing - but it WILL run a cycle (with door shut, obviously) then only play up when it isn't running one.

Any other ideas greatly received, will only use the machine whilst supervised for the time being.

Edit: Door interlock visibly scorched from the connector up to above where the connector joins the main unit. Have fired off an email to the spares supplier, and will call Hotpoint in the morning. I found another thread on this forum and the interlock units appear the same, and the scorch marks on mine are exactly where the burn marks are on the other.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An update:
Hotpoint (unsurprisingly) were less than helpful. Didn't want to know as it "wasn't on their list". The parts supplier didn't want to know either. We've had to replace both the harness and the door interlock as the connector was scorched to the point that the plastic (now carbon) was conducting between pins.

If your door interlock has burnt, and the connector is even a little singed, I would replace the whole lot. If I had just put everything back without checking the connector, it's likely that the machine would have carried on and caught fire, even with the new interlock.

Machine now operating great!

Sponsored Links
A bump as an update to this saga.

F-06 again, new door switch (from Hotpoint) has charred terminals and slightly the plug of the new harness (from a UK company, Hotpoint part). I cleaned it up again (plug cleaned up really well, door switch less so), and fault now gone again.

What I have noticed is that it would appear that full mains current for the motor, if not the whole machine is possibly passing through the interlock. The connector fingers appear to be really small in the plug and don't appear to even really leave any tell tales on the terminals (compared to the crimped on terminals I used as a temporary fix on the last harness before we had the new one arrive, which were a good tight fit).

Contacted Hotpoint who have offered a free "safety check" - something which they did not offer last time we contacted them - so will see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back