Hotpoint WML520 belt problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have searched but cannot find such a query answered elsewhere, so here we go.

Our WML520 is approx 3 years old and the drum recently stopped spinning. I removed the back plate and discovered the belt had slipped, however it continued to do so when I put it back on the pulley. The belt had split so I ordered a replacement, however I have had the same problem with the new belt, which slips off the back of the pulley wheel almost straight away as soon as it starts to turn.

I cannot see any damage to the wheel that could be causing this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the belt is running off the pulley, the motor drive pulley is out of alignment or damaged somehow, I guess.....or the drum bearings are seriously worn, promoting the same thing.
Is it a multi-vee belt on these?
Welcome to the forum!
John :)

Without the belt on is there any movement on the 'spider' [large wheel on the drum]. Is the pulley mount secure, I assume you had to loosen it to get the new belt on.

Is it a multi-vee belt on these?

Yes it appears to be a multi vee belt 5PJE 1208.

Could it be I have ordered the wrong replacement belt? The one I ordered seemed a little shorter than the original but I put that down to stretching.

Apologies as I think I might be confusing matters using the wrong terminology - it seems to be the large plastic wheel that the belt slips off, not the motor spindle. I will check the motor pulley mount and plastic wheel for any movement.

Sponsored Links
Ok so I have checked the motor pulley spindle and the large plastic wheel on the back of the drum and there is no damage or movement in either. I have replaced the belt and it does not stay in the centre of the plastic wheel. It sometimes comes off straight away, at other times it moves to the edge of the wheel, stays there for one or two washes and then slips off again.

I have noticed online that there is differing advice as to which is the correct length for the belt as some sites say 1194 mm whereas the one I have bought is 1208. Would an extra 14mm make that much of a difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back