Hotpoint WML520 way too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hotpoint WML520 automatic washing machine practically does a boil wash no matter what temerature I select. From this Im guessing the element is functioning correctly but the element sensor has malfunctioned. Any advice or confirmation would be great. Is this an easy part to fit if it does need replacing? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the water still heat on a rinse cycle i.e should not have heat.

Hi Yardie
Well im not sure to be honest. Its a cold connection only machine. If they were being rinsed in cold water then they would come out cold but they come out very hot, so hot we just cant handle them! They dont appear un rinsed so it sounds like they are or maybe being washed in the correct temperature as selected but rinsed at boiling point :(

Sorry, what I really meant was on a rinse only cycle does it still heat?

The other thing to check is that it is filling with sufficient water, usually somewhere just up past the bottom of the door glass.

It could be that the heater relay is stuck on hence continuosly heating, it may be the stat is cutting in and out correctly but constantly heating.

Sponsored Links
Ah....Ill try that tomorrow. If it does heat on a rinse program what is the fault likely to be?

Please read my previous post again, been edited.

You could be right that the stat is faulty but this is another possibility.

Do you have a DMM?

Whats a DMM?:)
Maintenance manual???? Im a novice to all this white goods fault finding malarkey haha...I have no manual. I looked at partmaster online and saw a possible suspect part that could be the culprit, they call it an element sensor but im only guessing

Yes dmm - meter.

Use it to test the heater stat, be sure to have all the power switched off and unplugged.

If ever unsure of something ask 1st before proceeding.

Look at ebay item 271749674392
ntc, fits into the heating element plate accessible from the rear panel.
You don't need to remove it, just remove the connectors and test with dmm.
You could check your element too whilst your at it, learning exp.

Cheers mate, yes that ebay item is the part i was suspecting. Still not had time to check the rinse temperature but ill keep you advised. You are being very helpful...thanks

Yardie,
I did a test on the washing machine yesterday and selected rinse only. It does indeed rinse in boiling hot water, I couldn't touch the clothes!! I checked the element sensor and my meter read 11 when hot and when it was cold again, I couldn't get a reading above 20.5.
Any further advice would be great.
Cheers

Certainly sounds like the heater relay is stuck on as there should not be heat on a rinse only programme.
Mains plug removed, disconnect both heater connectors, connect DMM on lowest ohms setting and record your results.

Shall look forward to hearing from you in a couple of days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back