Houndsfield boiler leaking flue gasses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 5 year old Houndsfield oil boiler, conventional floor standing unit. It's leaking flue gases now and I can't quite pinpoint the source. I re-roped the inspection door with some fibreglass rope and that now seals very well. The stainless inspection door on the condenser was also OK and I gave the seal a second chance with some RTV as the spongy rubber stuff that the manufacturers used (which looks like wetsuit neoprene) was well compressed. Anyway, it still leaks and I fear that the seal between the condenser unit and main body has failed. I am going to get some smoke matches tomorrow to see if I can definitely track it down unless anyone has a better idea?

Anyway, two questions, taking the condenser off will require pipes to be removed so it's a lengthy drain down job, but what seal material will I use, will RTV be OK bearing in mind the heat - has anyone done this before? I'm really hoping that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

2/ where can I buy this foamy seal material from for the stainless steel condenser door from? The BES catalogue doesn't list anything and google has drawn a blank.

Thanks, Julian.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back