Hours of working - planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone have any stories to share about issues with respect to hours stipulated in the planning permission (8-5pm weekdays / 8-1pm Sat) and neighbours complaining that work is starting before 8am or finishing after 5pm but builders actually saying they're not working but either clearing up or doing non-construction work?

I've got a very difficult neighbour who has been difficult in general (complains if my rear garden is messy with my gardening tools left out etc....yeah I'm serious).

I'm trying to be reasonably with him but I think the biggest annoyance for him is the noise during the middle of the day as he likes his quiet.

I've told my builders to respect the neighbours as I have to live with them afterall and they dont have to put up with any crap I get from the council etc, but what do the restricted hours actually cover, any building noise or any work including internal painting / finishing etc?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
The planners can take enforcement action but it can be slow. And their options are limited regarding proof of you working outside the conditioned hours. They cover any work related to the build.

Unless you are routinely working early/late for several weeks in one go, then it may be a difficult condition to enforce - and one the planners may have no appetite for. And there is always the appeal process for you regarding unreasonable conditions - which the planners would want to avoid having to deal with.

Sounds like a neighbour that would feel their sensible sandwich and cafe latte doesn't taste good anymore, after the cat five doors down fell off a tree and farted on landing!!! :/

I've yet to hear about a council person standing outside a renovation project looking at their Casio, and throwing a tantrum if you placed your toolbox on the ground at 7.59am! :)

From my experience once waaaay back, I found that my neighbours always had issues with trivial stuff, but once I got them to actually come on site, and see what I was doing, and let them choose a few ideas of when is a good time to do a few things, nothing major, but a few bits, they were more looking forward to seeing the completion, than hoping I fall of a ladder! :)

I think it comes down to common sense, and 'the book' will never replace the person who actually visits the site to judge your behaviour, if it ever came to that.

Common sensibilities are as follows! Hahaa, not that I'm saying you don't adhere! :)

Nuuuuuuuumber 1:

• Site and car radios. These may be a problem when near to bedrooms, or when loud enough to bother neighbours throughout their living and recreation areas. Noise can be managed by keeping radios close to workers, and at a lower volume.
Nuuuuuuuumber 2:

• Conduct. Loud talking early in the morning can disturb neighbours as much as the work itself. Before 7 am weekdays and 9 am weekends, keep voices to a minimum. Be aware of where neighbours might be sleeping.
Number 3:

• Site preparation such as moving materials before 7 am weekdays or 9 am weekends. Such works would likely be unreasonable if they were loud enough to disturb neighbours. Quietly conducted preparation or work such as painting, away from neighbouring bedrooms, may be acceptable.

Just before you walk outside, put your arm in a sling; make them feel good that somet happened! Feed their negativity, and keep your honest project going. Just a thought? :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back