1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

House Foundations Ground Cover Required

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by BathDIY, 18 Aug 2020.

1. BathDIY

BathDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We are planning to lower the level of our garden, removing the old concrete path that goes completely around the house.

I know that house foundations are sited below ground level to protect from frost.

How much ground do I need to leave above the house foundation level?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Half as much as what's on the other side of them

4. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ="BathDIY, post: 4710989, member: 245570"]We are planning to lower the level of our garden, removing the old concrete path that goes completely around the house.

I know that house foundations are sited below ground level to protect from frost.

How much ground do I need to leave above the house foundation level?[/QUOTE]
    Depends on the ground conditions, in clay 1m, but it is more about the possibility of clay heave, sand gravel etc new founds are usually at 600mm but in reality they can be much shallower.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local