House I am buying has 2 working boilers - can I remove one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,
First post - so be gentle...

I am in the process of buying my first home - a lovely, but somewhat dated Victorian Terrace in Bexleyheath, London...

One thing we are intending to do straight away, is completely refurbish the bathroom (see photo below):

In the bathroom, there is a very old (looking) boiler which provides hot water to the house. The boiler is a "Brittony II T" and looks at least 20 years old.

The vendor then had installed a "Glow Worm 18HXI" boiler in the adjacent bedroom in 2006, which provides the Central Heating.

Ideally, I would like to get rid of the old boiler in the bathroom (despite the fact that it seems to work perfectly well), as the room is fairly small (2.1m x 2m).

Questions:
1 - Does anyone know whether the Glow Worm 18HXI boiler is capable of providing hot water (as well as Central Heating)?
2 - Assuming the answer to the previous question is "Yes", roughly how much (ball-park figure) are we looking at to remove the old Brittony boiler, and change the setup so the Glow Worm provides the hot water as well as the Central Heating?

Cheers
Bcfaigg

Sponsored Links
Yes you can have a cylinder and alter the pipework around.

£3-4k should cover the work.

congratulations on having a Brittony II that is still working, takes me back a bit thanks for the memories

Sponsored Links
Yes you can have a cylinder and alter the pipework around.

£3-4k should cover the work.

Would it be preferable to simply remove both boilers and install a new combi-boiler (probably in the 3rd bedroom where the glow-worm is)?

Bcfaigg

You cheapest option is to remove both boilers
and put a combi boiler in somewhere like the kitchen Price £900-£2000 depending on boiler
and labour rates in your are of the country.

Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back