House Purchase - Absence of Through Lounge Building Regs

dk3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am at completion/exchange stage which will happen in next few weeks. Had mortgage valuation survey done, they mentioned to ensure Building Regs were in place. House is 1910 with classic lounge through diner. Current owners dont know anything about it and have offered indemnity insurance which will cover any enforcement action costs but not any remedial action costs. Both my solicitor and the vendors have failed to locate any permission, is it possible that this just doesnt exist? Surveyor agreed building is sound but obvioulsy has to cover himself. What should I do? Get Building Regs in now? Will this cost? Will they want to open up wall etc to check for RSJ etc? Under time pressure as place I am in now goes in Sept so need to get sorted asap. Thanks for any advice or experience.

Sponsored Links
How long since the work was done? If it was gonna fall down it would have by now. Get your indemnity from them, move in and and forget about it.

Thanks FMT. We havent established that yet but as far as I know it wasnt done by current owners so 5-6 years at least. In my opinion it would have been done yonks ago.

Obviously nobody knows when it was done. In that case, you cannot get a retrospective building regs approval because the council will not consider anything before 1985.
On the regularization application form, you have to confirm it was done since 1985.
You can't do that because you don't know. So you can't apply. So you can't get a certificate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, I have had more help on here in the past few mins than form my solicitor! In this case would I just carry on as FMT suggested and pass on or get new indemnity for new owners if I sold in years to come?

If a surveyor has looked at it, and there is no distress, (after all those years) then there wont be any structural problems now

You can ignore the need for building regs. It is now a paper chase and of no value

Thanks Woody. Will this cause problems when if I sell in the future? What if I want to extend/alter and it becomes apparent then? If it is pre 1985 is there nothing I can do in terms of regulation?

It won't have anything to do with any future work you may do.

In the future, if you sell, point the buyer to here and they will get the same advice. Someone work buy it if they want it ..... just like you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back