House Radiator sucking air, low pressure on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers, I am having a problem with my house radiator system that I can't find an answer to - hope you can help. Boiler is in the basement. Main floor is heating fine. Upstairs only bottoms of radiators are hot. I am trying to bleed my radiators, and they improved it a bit. But now, it doesn't seem to have enough pressure - I get some air, but then it peters out before I get water. Now, some of the radiators are actually sucking air. I found the refill valve and added some water, but have no idea how much water to add. The pressure valve reads about 4 psi when off. How long should I open the fill valve? Should I bleed when hot or cold? How do I up the pressure - 12-15% is recommended, right? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure what your talking about. makes me thing you're not in the UK.

What is the make/model of the boiler.

Normally a UK boiler pressure should be between 1-1.3bar.

Hi Bath - No, I'm not in the UK, I'm in Washington, DC. But I think we have similar radiator systems - this is a Hydrotherm. Its pretty old and house is about 60 years old. I don't see an expansion tank on it. BTW, I added some water by the valve and 2 of my radiators had air, then water. I'm adding more to see what happens.

Hi Bath - No, I'm not in the UK, I'm in Washington, DC. But I think we have similar radiator systems - this is a Hydrotherm. Its pretty old and house is about 60 years old. I don't see an expansion tank on it. BTW, I added some water by the valve and 2 of my radiators had air, then water. I'm adding more to see what happens.

Your system is probably fed by a water tank in the loft, if so check to see if it is about 1/3 full of water.

Sponsored Links
I think any advice we give is likely to be wrong, dangerous or a good guess.

Just keep topping it up till all the rads are full and leave it at that until you can get someone local.

I see a tank (about 10 Gallons I think? ) right above the boiler but there is no way to tell how full it is. I added more water... hope thats the right thing to do. getting a little more air from the radiators upstairs, so seems to be working. Still worried about overfilling the system though.

I see a tank (about 10 Gallons I think? ) right above the boiler but there is no way to tell how full it is. I added more water... hope thats the right thing to do. getting a little more air from the radiators upstairs, so seems to be working. Still worried about overfilling the system though.

I`m suprised that the tank is not fed by its own water supply with a float valve, anyway keep adding water until all air is gone from the rads. Is it possible to drop a piece of string or tape into the tank to see what heigth the water level is?.

I`m suprised that the tank is not fed by its own water supply with a float valve, anyway keep adding water until all air is gone from the rads. Is it possible to drop a piece of string or tape into the tank to see what heigth the water level is?.

It's hardly likely to be an F+E tank if it's in the basement along with the boiler ;) Probably just an expansion vessel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back