House Reqire Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician has suggested that he cannot issue me with a certificate of compliance unless I install an "extractor fan" in my bathroom?

Can someone please confirm whether there is something in BS7671 suggesting that extractor fans "MUST" be installed in bathooms?

For info, it's a rennovation job, not a new build.

Thanks chaps.

Sponsored Links
No requirement, but often a BGI.

You should be concerned about what other misapprehensions your electrician is labouring under, and what else he might have got wrong... :confused:

AFAIK this is only a requirement in holiday accomodation when there is no opening window and you want accreditation.

Nothing to do with BS7671 afaik, so should not stop him completing any electrical certificates.

I thought it was compulsory for building regs to have one in a bathroom with no window though?

Sponsored Links
If the bath/shower room has no window that can be opened to offer ventlation, it is advisable you have an extractor fan installed(building regs would insist on it) to prevent condensation, but this would not be covered by the electrical requiremnets BS7671:2008.

Ditto what skenk wrote - nothing to do with electrics; if it's a must it's a different building reg. Your electrician can pass on information and advice but it shouldn't stop him writing out the cert.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back