House rewiring check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my dad has hired electricians to rewire his house. They spent 2 days sorting it and when I've come around they're still going. They've chosen to feed the new wiring through the floor and in through the wall and cover it by attaching a bracket with a removable cover. Just wondering if any electricians in here would agree that that's the best way to have gone about it. For me it would've made more sense to have passed the wire through the joist and follow the cavity under the stairs which leads to a small cupboard with the fuse board in?

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
Yuk, what a horrible way to do it.
Makes you wonder what other shortcuts they have made - particularly in those out of sight places.

Sponsored Links
Yea I wouldn't be drilling it. Depends what the floor above is, I assume it's just carpet but if not, maybe the can't lift the floor.
The floor is also two levels, maybe there's something stopping them taking it through the floor there?

I'm not saying it doesn't look gash, which it does, but you need to ask why.

Also you sound surprised that they haven't rewired the house in two days? If they had I'd be much more concerned

Yuk, what a horrible way to do it.
Makes you wonder what other shortcuts they have made - particularly in those out of sight places.

honestly it can't be any worse than the original wiring in the house. The previous owner was a really dodgy 'builder' and the more the house it redecorated the more hours we find!

What age is the Artex?

As deadshort said its "mature". the house must be early 70's and it would've been Artexed at some point in the 80's i think? The room that they've fed into is getting redecorated some point soon so the ceiling will be re-plastered.

Yea I wouldn't be drilling it. Depends what the floor above is, I assume it's just carpet but if not, maybe the can't lift the floor.
The floor is also two levels, maybe there's something stopping them taking it through the floor there?

I'm not saying it doesn't look gash, which it does, but you need to ask why.

Also you sound surprised that they haven't rewired the house in two days? If they had I'd be much more concerned

Its and old carpeted wooden floor above. The explanation they've given is that they couldn't pass it down through a box/shelf containing piping (just adjacent to where ive taken the photo) which leads into the boiler room and then through the wall under the stairs to the fusebox. But i'm just confused as to why they haven't passed it through the gap between the stairs and the top of the boiler room? You can see a gap and open space when you're in the fusebox cupboard that leads through to the top of the boiler room cupboard and id have rather have had them cut a large bore hole in the boiler room ceiling inside the cupboard than have that hanging out the ceiling?
I checked earlier on when they had the floor board up and i can't see a reason why they couldn't cut through the joist at the top of the stairs and feed the cabling through and down into that space and hook it through to the fusebox? as far as i can tell theres a whole joist and then the beginning to the stairs. I'll ask the lead electrician tomorrow as to why and see if he can give me more of an explanation.

Im not surprised at all btw. Its just that they initially claimed they'd be done in two days and then halfway through monday decided they're going to need until friday to finish the whole house. (3 bed semi detached)

How can i check the plausibility of feeding the cable through the gap as ive suggested?

I reckon your dad is elderly and doesn't make a fuss so they thought they'd get away with short cuts. My mum had her house rewired and it's not a quality job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back