House Surveys

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Recently been trying to sell my mums house, found a buyer no problem. Building Society sends in surveyor who says all is OK, except the roof. He said you can see daylight so it needs membrane, and maybe strengthening and tells lenders to retain £4000 untill the work is done.

I complain saying house is over 100 years old and wasn't built with a membrane.

They send another surveyor who agrees with me, says the roof is fine except for 4 loose slates! However he says you have damp under a window!

Asked second surveyor why the difference? he says we all have our pet area's which we check and it is all about opinions. I say, so if I get another report the roof and damp may be OK but it might need say a rewire? He says yes thats about it.

What a ridiculous state of affairs. These people charge high fees and are giving a poor service. Talk about money for old rope.

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
He said you can see daylight so it needs membrane,
This is a load of old rubbish, I have work on many roofs with daylight and yet membrane actually create condensation if there's no soffit vent. You cannot beat a draughty roof ! The only time the membrane is useful if you have a broken tiles therefore the rain fall onto the felt into the gutter.

Here we go again, the world owe them a living !

Many surveyors take one look at a Victorian house and say "Needs a DPC, must have a DPC. Definitely a DPC.". When what it really needs is for the 50 years of unsuitable wall coverings to be stripped right back to the lathe and plaster, then breathable coverings used to allow the building to breathe, thus removing damp.

Surveyors: I haven't had enough experience of them, but they can make things very difficult when you try to sell a house. My friends bought a Victorian terrace with deathtrap wiring. What did the surveyor say? "Needs a DPC. Must have a DPC. Definitely a DPC.".

Sponsored Links
I have recently brought a Victorian terraced house and whilst the roof appears in reasonable condition it doesn't have a membrane and is prone to leaks on days like today.

Whilst daylight is visible in several locations, the survey didn't mention this (I'm not even sure that they actually went in the loft as they failed to mention all the squirrels nests!!).

Trying to think long term I was planning to have the slates removed and a membrane and new battens added before re-tiling (re-using the original slates? if possible). My main reasons for this approarch were that the roof which is over 100 years old (and original to the best of my knowledge) would benefit from new battens and fixings thus hopefully reducing the number of slipping tiles in the future, with a membrane preventing the seepage of water into the roof should any minor slippage occur.

It would appear from various forums that this maybe isn't the best way forward and that maybe I should leave the roof as it is and just have those tiles that have sliped respostioned.

Back