House theft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was something in the news a year or so back about a house being taken over by crooks when the owner was away, and it being impossible to recover. The other day a similar case was discussed on the radio. Strangely, it sounded as if the crooks were still on the scene (they had rented the house out) but the obvious question – why weren’t their collars felt? wasn’t mentioned. The victims got no support from the police, government bodies or anyone else.

But my query is – how can you protect yourself from becoming a victim? Nothing obvious on the internet. I have title register and title plan for my place, but I believe the victims had that and it didn’t stop the theft. There seem to be several outfits trying to look like official bodies in this area, and charge £££, as is common nowadays.

The chance of it happening to any individual is no doubt very small, but it’s devastating to an unlucky one!

Sponsored Links
You start by setting up an alert

This will tell you when a search or application to change title is started.

The fraud occurs by a fraudster pretending to be the property owner requesting the transfer of the property usually to an innocent buyer. Since the land register has a guarantee of title, the buyer cannot usually be forced out once they have taken possession.

However, to pull off the fraud. There are often mistakes along the way and these people are all liable.

Fools & their money are soon parted. I see no difference where property is involved.

You start by setting up an alert

This will tell you when a search or application to change title is started.

The fraud occurs by a fraudster pretending to be the property owner requesting the transfer of the property usually to an innocent buyer. Since the land register has a guarantee of title, the buyer cannot usually be forced out once they have taken possession.

However, to pull off the fraud. There are often mistakes along the way and these people are all liable.
Great, thanks for that. I've done it!

Sponsored Links
There was a case a while back were some scum bags rented a prop whilst the owner was away and sold it to an unsuspecting buyer

The original / actual owner had a massive problem on his hands

Dunno what the out come was ?

There was a case a while back were some scum bags rented a prop whilst the owner was away and sold it to an unsuspecting buyer

The original / actual owner had a massive problem on his hands

Dunno what the out come was ?
The one on the radio (You and yours, R4) tenants had moved in, and apparently that was the only reason the owner stood a chance of getting his house back. Complicated by the tenants being disabled (or claiming to be) so couldn't be evicted. It hadn't been finally resolved.
But it's horrific that this sort of thing can happen, and when it does the authorities seem unable to do anything about it.

Wasn't it a criminal offence that the police would attend immediately and arrest the occupiers of domestic properties?
I think it was in Cameron's time that they passed the bill.

Sponsored Links
Back