House vendor got away with ignoring all the rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved house and the house I moved into has a lot, and I mean a lot, of dodgy DIY.
The kitchen is obviously wired by a DIY man who knew not what best practice was. The gas boiler was almost certainly put in as a DIY job as well; it's not a professional looking installation.
When I was buying the house, the vendor put on his forms sent to my solicitor that no electrical work has been done. He also put that the gas boiler was installed before the regulations. Both these things are obviously not true, but he seems to have got away with it.
I have read on a lot of DIY threads that people who ignore regs come a cropper when they sell the property. This guy hasn't.
So what is the point of Part P ?

Sponsored Links
Complain to your solicitor but what proof do you have?

Hmmm.

The answer on the seller pack, I think, have some legality you can be held to.

That's why the "smart" answer is "unknown" to these questions.

Pretty sure cabling (twin and earth) has a date of manufacture on it? Tenuous but still, if the date of the cable manufacture is when they owned it it could indicate they lied. I wonder if any is visible under the units?

Whether you'd get anywhere legally with this, who knows.

I think the gas boiler is more of a worry. Has it been serviced by a gas safe engineer? Just for peace of mind.

Google maps has a historical feature, I wonder, if you could look back to see if the has flue magically appeared (assuming it was installed and is visible via satellite ).

Have you spoken with the conveyancer about your concerns? Surely this does happen and there are procedures to address concerns.

And the classic ...... "What did your surveyor say in the report?"

What, you didn't bother with a survey? :rolleyes:

Is DIY even a question on the TA6 form?

Sponsored Links
There is a very very big gap between the TA6 being useful to convey some information to the buyer, and being a stick with which to take legal action. Not saying you can't, but the cost/risk is not insignificant. As woody says, you always have the option of surveys pre-purchase. caveat emptor and all that.

I can't believe there are many houses in the country that haven't had a bit of uncontrolled work done.

When we sell our house I'll get the wife to fill in the questionnaire - she genuinely "doesn't know", she thinks the big white cylinder in the cupboard upstairs is the boiler and every now and then she asks me why we've got another boiler in the garage! As for electrical work, I think she thinks if I just screw a plug socket to the wall it will somehow work and that I crawl around the loft and under the floors with rolls of cable just to make myself look busy.

When we sell our house I'll get the wife to fill in the questionnaire - she genuinely "doesn't know", she thinks the big white cylinder in the cupboard upstairs is the boiler and every now and then she asks me why we've got another boiler in the garage! As for electrical work, I think she thinks if I just screw a plug socket to the wall it will somehow work and that I crawl around the loft and under the floors with rolls of cable just to make myself look busy.

Oh, you too :) Mine just thinks everything magically maintains and fixes itself too.

HaHa - mine is the other way. We refurbed our current house from a bare brick shell. OH is now capable of stuff she never even considered - not sure she enjoys it much tho'....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back