How am I supposed to turn this toilet full valve washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_7767.JPG

I'm trying to replace the full valve on my Ideal Standard toilet

I've unscrewed the screw connecting the pipe, but the plastic screw washer holding the valve in place is recessed in a small hole, with very little space, in an already hard to access blind back of the toilet...

How the hell am I supposed to unscrew that?!

Sponsored Links
that's the underneath, looking up?

How does it look on the inside, looking down?

It might be necessary to remove the cistern :(

Take the cistern off by removing the wingnuts on the other fixing you can see in the picture.

Sponsored Links
Can you turn the body of the Fill Valve inside the cistern - maybe wedging a screwdriver in the recess underneath, outside the cistern . Then get a tap backnut ( smaller hex but same size washer ) and a box spanner to tighten backnut on the new Fill Valve - get one with a brass shank. I don't like splitting cistern/pans unless absolutely necessary.

Welcome to the world of plumbing. If the manufacturers haven't made your life as difficult as possible, the person who installed whatever it was or the last plumber to have touched it will have. Everything you touch is either seized, rusted, broken, bodged, inaccessible - or weeps when you put it back together. A simple one hour job turns into a 'mare of several other jobs that take a lot longer. Some jobs seem to have a knack of fighting you all the way.

Every job's a b**tard in plumbing. (y)

Welcome to the world of plumbing. If the manufacturers haven't made your life as difficult as possible, the person who installed whatever it was or the last plumber to have touched it will have. Everything you touch is either seized, rusted, broken, bodged, inaccessible - or weeps when you put it back together. A simple one hour job turns into a 'mare of several other jobs that take a lot longer. Some jobs seem to have a knack of fighting you all the way.

Every job's a b**tard in plumbing. (y)

https://goo.gl/images/7XNZhb

How Very True !!!
Not quite every one ;) Back in the day I had an old lady customer who's loft CWS was leaking round a tank connector where it had distorted the cistern slightly. I started by telling her it would be a "difficult" ie. bastard job to get it out through the traphatch and then renew it ( pre Bylaw 30 etc ) But I had an idea :idea: I could try a push fit plastic tank connector which had a larger hole thru' the cistern wall - worth a try ? Drained down one afternoon - returned next day and went for it - worked a treat, came away in plastic and converted to the existing copper - did some lagging and job was a good 'un. She was well pleased. That's how I worked for people in the village where I lived then ;). Noticed some months ago that my guttering job from '73 in same village had been changed o_O maybe they didn't like the grey Osma . Another more recent (15+ years ) for a friend involved a CWS that was high up on a stillage. Nightmare to get up to - then I found an old ali ladder which I cut to length and fixed permanently in the roof ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back