How bad is black lime?

H

huddsspread

I done some patching today in the mankyiest house i have ever worked in. a big patch of the ceiling had come down and two big holes in the walls. They only wanted them patching, as they were tenants and moving out. There was black lime dust everywhere ( and this happened months ago too) and i squared up the holes to stick a bit of board in. I now have black bogeys again, but the lady asked how bad/poisonous or toxic that stuff is.

Now being an expert of ripping that out hundreds of times, i do sometmes where a mask, if its a whole room, but if its bits i dont bother. So i told her its not something you want to breathe in, but how bad is it compared to say a bag of new hydrated lime? This is just for something i can tell someone when i go and rip theres out.

brad

Sponsored Links
Sometimes lime has ash mixed into it, this turns it black, black ash lime. You find this alot where you have coal mines around.

You also find that soot from coal fire get between the lath after years and you find a black dust above the lath.

It's alway safe to put a mask on, I have always had a mask but I suffer from asthma anyway and have ABPA so I take care what enviroment I go into without protection. If it's black mould you need to get rid of it and mask up even if you are not pulling down.

If the lime is black all the way through it's ash lime.

Hope this helps.

P.S Great creasted newt are great for stopping work!!!!!!!!!! :eek: More protection than humans!!!

Oh well more lost time, more money to spend more red tape!!

its black all the way through so its black ash lime.

and your newts....i have had the exact same problem in barnston, nr great dunmow in about 1996. We converted all the big bars in the area and this one had its own spring ( water was the best ive ever tasted)...but the water ran down and made a pond/swamp...and guess what lived in it? So we were told we couldnt work for about 3 weeks....but suddenly they all emmigrated? Maybe someone helped them move home to another pond? maybe they grew wings and flew to a brand new home near olives farmhuse just round the corner....who knows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back