How best to help grass recover from drought then excess rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the long dry period a high percentage of my grass turned brown and collapsed. Some areas of recently seeded in composted good soil seem to have survived remarkably well :eek:

Since the beginning of the hosepipe ban we seem to have had rain every day. The grass that was doing well is now lush and green... The grass that had gone brown and dead - is well... dead! When you walk on it it is like walking on a sponge - water oozes out of the thatch layer - and now I notice it seems to be turning a sort of algae green on the surface :cry:

Is there anything I can do to help it recover in the next 3 weeks before a family garden party is planned?

We use Green Thumb for lawn treatment since spring 2009 so it has been cared for regularly. They also did a 'hollow tine aeration' this spring. So thats been done - but unfortunately (grass wise ;) ) the weather was too dry for a long time and it never really grew much...

Any ideas? - or just need to wait and let nature take it's course...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
overseed with fast growing stuff?
dig it up and turf the dead bits?
use that patch fix stuff they advertise on telly?

I had some grass seed in the garage so I distributed that 'evenly' :LOL: all over the lawn yesterday - and it proceeded to be well-watered in ;) - by rain - not by me!!! :eek:

I had thought of giving the 'telly' stuff a go... I'm hoping that as usual after a long dry spell - there will be the ususal miracle of green-ness when the rains come :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back