How best to Route Condensate Pipe Internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a CH overhaul I will be getting a condensing boiler replaced in the kitchen, and unlike the current boiler whose condensate pipe is routed outside, the new one is to be routed internally. What's the best way of connecting the condensate pipe to the waste system? I've currently got a standpipe for the washing machine, and it's been suggested I get a under sink trap with a washing machine connection, then connect the washing machine to that, leaving the standpipe for the condensate pipe.

However, I've got a condensing boiler at the minute which routes externally and as you'd expect, if you're outside near it you can hear the water tricking out of it down into the drain when it's condensing, so I'm reluctant to use the standpipe method as that noise could drive me mad in the kitchen, plus the idea of an open standpipe surely isn't the best. Is there a bespoke fitment for connecting condensate pipes to kitchen waste?

Sponsored Links
Is there a bespoke fitment for connecting condensate pipes to kitchen waste?

Not really, normally a tee with an overflow reducer in it is used but where and how its connected will depend to some extent on the boiler's individual requirements. Just out of interest, why are you replacing your existing boiler? It can't be that old if it's a condensing one... What make/model is it?

Be careful of just tee-ing into a waste pipe, as depending on the routing of said pipe and where you tee into you can make airlocks in the pipe which mean the boiler wont drop the condensate out, causing it to backup into boiler,

Pipe into a stand pipe is the perfect way to do it as there is an airgap which means boiler will empty condensate out without any fuss, and regardless of where the water enters the waste there is an open air gap to allow gravity to do its job and let the water run off.

However you more than likley will get some degree of noise with the water dripping into the stand pipe, if you position the condensate pipe very close to where the water level will be in the stand pipe and cut the condensate end at 45 degrees then noise will be kept to an absolute minimum if its noticable at all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, could that be mounted either horizontally (as in the pic) or vertically?

Be careful of just tee-ing into a waste pipe, as depending on the routing of said pipe and where you tee into you can make airlocks in the pipe which mean the boiler wont drop the condensate out, causing it to backup into boiler,

Thanks, how do you mean with regards the airlock? If it's tee'd into the kitchen waste then wont the sinkhole prevent an airlock? Or could it be that emptying water down the sink could create a vacuum which could lead to an airlock in the condensate waste?

Your installer will be the best person to advise on an appropriate route and termination for the condensate. Its part of the flue system and shouldn't be touched by anyone who is not gas safe registered

Your installer will be the best person to advise on an appropriate route and termination for the condensate. Its part of the flue system and shouldn't be touched by anyone who is not gas safe registered

Well the airlock thing is something I hadn't considered. I thought the tee piece pictured above would be just the job, but not if it'll lead to air locks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back