How big should an expansion loop be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm laying an underground plastic heating oil pipe about 25 metres long from tank to boiler. I've been told it should have an expansion loop in it. What sort of size should this be and should it be in the plastic pipe or the copper bit that is above ground? I won't be actually connecting the boiler but it would be go to have everything ready befor the heating engineer comes. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i'm laying an underground plastic heating oil pipe about 25 metres long from tank to boiler. I've been told it should have an expansion loop in it. What sort of size should this be and should it be in the plastic pipe or the copper bit that is above ground? I won't be actually connecting the boiler but it would be go to have everything ready befor the heating engineer comes. Thanks.

What kind of plastic pipe? Is it suitable for oil???

Sponsored Links
As I said, I am just putting it in a trench ready for the heating engineer who is most certainly OFTEC qualified. I'm not OFTEC qualified which is why I don't know.

Probably a good idea to lay it in a poly duct pipe that qual oil can supply. Their website will tell you that 1% expansion is normal. In a duct it will be easier to remove in future - certainly easier than getting info. on here.

Probably a good idea to lay it in a poly duct pipe that qual oil can supply. Their website will tell you that 1% expansion is normal. In a duct it will be easier to remove in future - certainly easier than getting info. on here.

Surely not Nige, this forum is awash with Google Warrior experts!!!

Thanks Nige F. I did lay it in a poly duct pipe as requested by my OFTEC QUALIFIED HEATING ENGINEER. He also told me about the 1% expansion but he's away at the moment so I thought I 'd ask on this forum which has always been very helpful in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back