How can I add an additional light to the inside of my garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I live in a house built in 2013 which already has power out to the garage from new. The garage has power sockets (double socket) and a light which I believe are all connected by en existing junction box in the garage itself.

I would like to add an additional light fixture to the garage but controlled independently form the original light. I don't necessarily need to convert the single light switch to a double however if its not too difficult it would be more desirable than installing a additional switch box.

Can anyone advise me on how I might about doing this? I'm no stranger to DIY however this is confusing me somewhat.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, pictures of the existing garage wiring will help us guild you through the wiring options.

Kind regards,

DS

You just connect the new light to the same connections as the present light.

That wouldn't be right as I want to have independent control of each light within the garage. From what you are saying a single switch would control both lights as I understand it.

Hi, pictures of the existing garage wiring will help us guild you through the wiring options.

Kind regards,

DS
Is there anything specific you are looking for? I would assume you mean with the covers off so you can see how its wired?

Thanks both for the replies.

Sponsored Links
That wouldn't be right as I want to have independent control of each light within the garage.
That's not what you said.

I would like to add an additional light fixture to the garage so it would be better lit in a certain area. I don't need to convert the single light switch to a double however if its not too difficult it would be more desirable than installing a additional switch.

I've just read back my post and realised it wasn't clear so I've edited it to reflect what I actually wanted. :) Apologies for the confusion.

What I'm actually after is to install an additional light but it needs to be controlled from a second switch so both lights can be controlled independently.

Plan B - learn how lighting circuits work so that you can then do the job on the basis of an actual, genuine understanding of how and why.

Simply following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without understanding how and why is a foolish endeavour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back