Additional Garage Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a newly built house with a separate garage to which I want to add an external security light. The garage has one double socket with a single light switch taken off as a fused spur. I do not know at the moment if the supply into the garage is a spur off another circuit or is a dedicated circuit, I will check this when I get home.

I have read several other similar post on here and just want to check that if I wish to add additional lighting I can do so provided it runs through the same fuse as the existing lighting therefore preventing more than 5A ever being drawn by all of the lighting. Is this correct?

Secondly; rather than add an additional mounting box, it would be neat if I could find a double light switch with fuse to replace the existing single switch with fuse; do such things exist? A quick look online has not found any.

Thirdly; I assume this minor work is not notifiable?

Regards, James

Sponsored Links
Keep the lighting via the 5A fuse.

To have 2 switches and a fuse carrier on the same plate will require grid switches which will end up being a double sized plate so the pattress will need changing anyway.

The Part P docs say:

Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring.

So I'd assume this means the work is notifiable, since it involves (if I'm reading your post correctly) new outdoor wiring (for the light)..

If it follows the same principle as dwellings though then any external lighting is not notifiable if it is fixed to the external wall and the cabling comes from inside...

Sponsored Links
An example of the AD falsely saying something isn't notifiable.

Bu as ever, if you do what the AD says they're hardly going to have a leg to stand on.

An example of the AD falsely saying something isn't notifiable.

Bu as ever, if you do what the AD says they're hardly going to have a leg to stand on.

So work in detached outbuildings is always notifiable? (I'm guessing 'AD' being Approved Document, and I'm presuming you're saying it doesn't agree with the actual Part P regs)

It's nothing to do with what the building is - if the light is in the outside of a house/garage/shed/kennel/mausoleum/khazi it's outside lighting...

Thank you for the replies,

I will add an additional mounting box to take the extra switch.

Yes the light will be on the outside of the building but the cable will come from within and thus not be exposed. I think I will go with the ADs interpretation of the regs as it suits me better, part P is a bit too strict in some places for my liking.

James

I got the impression that the office of the Deputy Prime Minister published a lot of documents. So that might have been John Prescott???

Q — When it comes to a question concerning the interpretation of the BRegs law, who will take priority — Prescot or BAS?

A — At the end of the day a smack in the gob is the decider, so it has to be Prescot. :LOL:

At the end of the day, Stoday, I couldn't give a flying **** what you think, as your ability to read and understand regulations is about the worst I've ever encountered.

BAS — my view is that most regulations are a form of red tape, to be avoided with any excuse that's plausible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back