HOW TO ADD A PIR SECURITY LIGHT TO EXISTING GARAGE LIGHTING.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like to install a security light to our garage, and would like some help on the matter.

In the garage we have a feed coming in from the house, this has its own fuse in the main box under 'GARAGE' which is an MCB B6 TYPE.

The only lighting in the garage is the feed coming into a light switch and a fluro tube on the ceiling. Can I add a fused switch or replace with a double switch and add the security light before the original light switch.

Please can someone help me out, and if possible point me in the right direction to a supplier online for the parts/switch like wickes or B AND Q.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need a fused switch.

I would advise having a double pole switch somewhere to isolate the light if it ever develops an earth fault, e.g. via water getting in, to avoid it keep tripping the house RCD, if the circuit is on one.

Thanks for that, just one question. Do I fit the double pole switch between the feed in and existing garage light switch, and run the security light from the double pole switch? Thus leaving power to the security light all the time whilst still being able to turn the garage lights on and off without effecting the security light?

Sponsored Links
The supply comes form the house on with its own circuit breaker MCB B6 TYPE.

It has an old round switch with 2x 5 foot (aprox) standard tube light units. Dont know the load?

I am fairly handy around the home but wanted some expert advise on this as getting in a sparks to do this simple job can soon be expensive, not knocking anyones time or experience but I would like to do this job myself. As long as I can do it the correct way I will be happy, if I cannot get a solution then I will have to make the call.

I will upload a simple picture of what we are dealing with

Thanks

Added a picture to my albulm, not sure how to add it to post please visit my albulm, existing wiring in red, security light new wiring in red dashed line. Question mark is where I need to connect. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back