Adding a PIR security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your advice please.
I have installed a PIR controlled security light (120w) on an outside wall as per the wiring diagram provided by FAQ (dated 5 May 2010)- "How to add a PIR with Floodlight". I have connected to the ceiling rose in the garage and have a single gang light switch for control.

Question 1. I now want to install a second PIR security light using the same feed from the ceiling rose. Is it acceptable to take a second live feed from the switch to the new light and connect the new N and E to the original with a terminal block. I appreciate that the one switch will control both lights.

Question 2. Will this work have to be certified. I am getting very confused with what I read on the forum.

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
q1) providing the live, neutral and cpc/earth are from the same circuit, it would be acceptable.
q2) I would expect a certificate (minor or EIC) with any form of alteration to an existing circuit.

Sponsored Links
What is the difference?
A certificate:
is normally issued for all electrical work that involves the hard-wiring of the installation. This could be minor works or electrical installation certificate. This would involve some inspections and testing of circuit, if EIC a schedule of inspection and test results would be issued with cert normally a 3 page document, if minor works some standard tests are measured and 1 page document issued.

Notification:
Is when the installation being made is deemed by building controls as notifiable work, in which case they are informed via either yourself or the person doing the work. The application would require a fee, this if DIY or non registered electrician can be quite tasty. But if work is done by Part P approved/domestics scheme installer/competent person as listed on government web site, the fee would be less.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
Regardless of this a notified job would still require certs.
Where a certified job, does not always require notification.

In another thread I have just read it was suggested that a connection from the back of the first light could be used. Is this a better solution?
Sometimes it is, depends on distance to next fitting and route, accessibility and space within the enclosure of the fitting for extra cables and cable entry at knock-outs. But it is not always the best solution, as there are those variables to consider.
So it is really down to an on site evaluation of what you have and what is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back