Courtesy load v.s Security load? - PIR wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in buying this PIR 180° Dual Level Standalone PIR and in the instructions the wiring diagram (page 5) shows Security load (max 1000W) on L1 and Courtesy load (max 120w) on L2. I do want to connect two lights to the PIR, both would be under 120w, so do the live of both lights connect to L2?

That brings me on to the bulbs I want to use, they are Mini Lynx Fast Start 18w energy saving lamps. On page three of the PIR manual it states "It is not recommended to use this product with compact fluorescent energy saving lamps" I take that to mean that the slow warm-up of regular energy saving lamps would make them unsuitable for the sudden illumination of security lights. Do you think that this PIR would not operate fine with the Mini Lynx Fast Start 18w lamps?

...Thanks...

Added a link to the instructions

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking courtesy load could be a dimmed load - so the lamp is at say quarter brightness all night and comes onto full should the PIR be tripped. If they are then this is not any use for compact fluorescents.
The security side of it should be clean switching so unless it has a capacitor across the relay a CFL should work however a CFL isn't much use for PIR security anyway in my opinion.

I have the same sensor and I will be using it with dimmable halogen lamps.

The sensor is advertised as being a dusk to dawn sensor, kicking up to full power when motion is detected.

I cannot relate the sensor's function with the wiring diagram. I was expecting a single output which the sensor switched from dimmed to full output. Instead there are the two outputs: courtesy and security.

I would be grateful for advice on how to wire this thing up!

Sponsored Links
There are two outputs and two lamps shown in the instructions.

That doesn't mean you have to use both or
cannot have more than one lamp on each output.

However -

Lighting loads connected must not exceed maximum 1000W tungsten halogen (security output)
and 120W incandescent (courtesy output). It is not recommended to use this product with
compact fluorescent energy saving lamps.
If in any doubt,
consult a qualified tradesperson or electrician

I have one, and trust me the CFC lamp will not last. But I tried :D
Stick to the halogen.

So... which output for lamp to be switched between dimmed output and full output?

Look at the instructions properly, it clearly shows two lamps 1x dim and 1x bright so you need two fittings or a dual lamp holder fitting ffs its not rocket science.
leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

I would also like to wire up just one lamp to be both dim and bright not have two separate lamps !!!!!

Is there a product or way to do this could the screw fix one be wired to do this???

Maybe it's possible to wire 1 light to both terminals but have a resistor on the L1 output to dim the light when not in security mode? I'm sure someone more qualified will come along and say that's not a good idea though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back