How can I protect my property from neighbours planning permi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a Victorian mid terrace in London covered under Brent. Last year, my neighbour put in planning permission for a side kitchen infill. She hadn't spoken to me first (apparently her architect said not to as it's her right to build a party wall). Not suprisingly, the plans got rejected because 1) it blocks my light as it's a north facing side infill and 2) it's not in character with the rest of the house.

She has been told that if I put in planning permission as well then her plan will get accepted to build a 7mx1.5m side infill. I don't have a problem with this because at some point in the next few years I'd like this too. However what I am concerened about is how her extension will impact me.

Here is her plan, my house is on the right hand side:

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9004/neighbourshouse.jpg

I have an architect friend who has said that he can make some plans for me and he has drawn me this:

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/7715/myhouses.jpg

My biggest concern at the moment is long term maintenance. My neighbour is insisting on sticking with her original design of an all glass pitched roof.

First of all, every single plan on the Brent council website for a similar extension has a flat roof with skylights. I am assuming ease of maintenance is the reason why?

Should she ever need to maintain the side of her house, top floor guttering, windows etc, I really cannot see how she will do this unless her maintenance man climbs on my new kitchen roof with all of his tools and laddders. I've understood that I am not allowed to object to this under the neighbours right to access law.

As it stands at the moment, her plans will not get approved unless I submit an extension too. Even then I don't know if the council will accept a joint application if she has a pitched roof and I have a flat roof.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself other than object to her design?

Sponsored Links
Flat roof + skylight = cheaper. It would be wise to have a flat roof that's shared, or for you to have an similar roof to your neighbour, both running into a shared valley gutter.

Or even better have a shared pitched roof which slopes from back to front.

You could spec your roof with promenade tiles, a few lengths of decking along that edge creating a walkway, or simply insist that anyone carrying out maintenance puts down a sheet of ply to walk on when working.
If they're careful and professional they will leave your roof as they found it.

Anyway, it'll be many years before a newly installed roof needs any maintenance work doing.

Speak to your neighbour and agree a compromise. It will ultimately cheaper to share the cost of a new roof than to get them done seperately.

Just one point,, Looking at both plans,,, you both seem to be building over the dividing line between the properties (I'm assuming the dotted line between the buildings is the dividing line) If this is the case then you both need to go back to your respective architects.

Sponsored Links
Hi, do you mean that we are both building beyond the party wall remit?

I phoned the council today but they weren't much help. They said the only way to object would be the party wall agreement. By then it's too late as the council will already have signed off the plans if we submit a joint application ie allowing the access rights to my property.

So it looks like the only way I have any leverage is to tell my neighbour I won't submit a joint plan unless she builds something which allows her to mainten her own property rather than use my roof to access her guttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back